Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus And Firewall Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 juventusfc

juventusfc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hi i am currently using AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5.516 but is Avast Home Edition 4.7.1098 a better choice?

Also, i am using ZoneAlarm Firewall 7.0.362. Is this a good Firewall or is there a better choice? (free ones only :D)

last question :thumbsup:
is Spybot SD supposd to always be in the system tray or just when its time to scan?

Thanks in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

I use AVG on my XP, but I don't remember using Avast. They're both recommended by many people and sites.

Windows SP2 has a built-in Windows firewall. The only problem with this is that there is no outbound protection, only inbound protection. The ZoneAlarm firewall offers outbound protection, as well as inbound.

Spybot has a program called TeaTimer.exe. If I'm not mistaken, this is for real-time protection. It runs, even if Spybot is not actually running. I have it disabled, as it caused me a few problems before. I don't really understand about TeaTimer.exe too much.

SpywareBlaster is a good program to use alongside Spybot. SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for spyware, but it focuses on blocking it from entering your system at all.

Edited by sharpe95, 01 January 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#3 juventusfc

juventusfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

thanks for the insight. Yea TeaTimer really slows down my computer for some reason. Im definatly going to download SpywareBlaster, it seems good. Thanks for the quick reply!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users