Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Items Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brews

brews

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi, I have tried searching for a answer, but I have had no luck.

On my desktop, my startup items are no longer loading when I boot up the computer. What happened is, I have a desktop and laptop that are winXP and I decided to remove mcafee from the laptop and try AVG anti virus(free). AVG worked out great on laptop, so I decided to put it on desktop also. Now, when I boot up the desktop the startup items that use to load no longer do. Not even the AVG anti virus.

Here is what I did on laptop:
a. add/remove programs and removed mcafee.
b. ran MCPR by mcafee to clean all of mcafee out.
c. installed AVG, latest free from cnet.

All is good on laptop and after many reboots to test, all startup items I have load up and are on bottom task bar.

did the same on desktop, but no startup items. I have looked at msconfig and the items are still checked on the startup tab. Everything to me looks the same on the desktop as it does on the laptop. Could I have somehow messed up the registry on the desktop.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I have discovered that this only happens on a system bootup. If I boot up, then log off, and log back on, then all startup items load up fine. I only have this desktop setup for one user (me).
Any ideas?

Edited by brews, 02 January 2008 - 09:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

What items would that be?

You can add any program to startups...by simply dragging or placing a shorcut to that program in the Startup folder.

A tool for checking/reviewing startup items (all of them): AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Louis

#3 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

What items would that be?

You can add any program to startups...by simply dragging or placing a shorcut to that program in the Startup folder.

A tool for checking/reviewing startup items (all of them): AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Louis

Thank you for the reply.

I use to have various programs like winamp, a print screen utility, anti virus program, active sync, startup when i booted up the desktop.

that autoruns programs shows the items that use to come up. they are still checked, but they do not come up.

My desktop startup folder is empty, just like my laptops, but the items still load up on the laptop.

I will try putting a shortcut in that folder.

thank you.

#4 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

I have edited the first post. Thanks to all who have viewed this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users