Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Create New Network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hiya guys, bit of a silly one if i can.......trying to create a simple home network to share a printer...i have cable modem into a dlink di-524 router. Wired from there into the main pc. Wireless from router to pc upstairs. The wired pc has a printer attached. Both computers running xp sp2, both have internet access.

I run network set up wizard on both pc's, set workgroup name same on both, name one upstairs and one downstairs and i just cant get them to 'see' each other, wen i do network places, on the pc downstairs i can see the printer attached, but cant see the comp upstairs and vice versa....

Have tried a google search for a simple step by step guide nad having no luck.....could it be a setting in router to allow the pc to see each other?

any help would be great thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

Actually, open the Control Panel>Network Connections and right click on your connection type (Wireless or Wired Connection) and select PROPERTIES. On this new page you will see an option to Install. From here look to find and install the NETBIOS Protocol. This should help with any name resolution. Second thing you need to do, is on your computer downstairs, open the Control Panel>Printers and Faxes and right click the printer and select SHARING AND SECURITY. Share the printer with a relative name (IE: HPLASER). Now an easy way to access this share from the upstairs computer is to type its name in the My Computers address bar as the following: "\\downstairs" . This should allow you to see all shares on that PC

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Here is the KB article from Microsoft's website for information on sharing a printer in a SoHo network:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=814005
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users