Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimizing The All Programs Menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

I've recently been experimenting with the idea of creating an `Applications' folder on the desktop, dragging it into the Start>All Programs menu, and then moving most of the existing All Programs menu items into it in order to make All Programs itself a little more wieldy and faster to display. However, I noticed that the icons for some applications defaulted after being moved to the Start>All Programs>Applications folder. This made me think that perhaps the All Programs menu wasn't meant to be tampered with in this way...

Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

That menu is nothing but a list of shortcuts.

Like any other shortcuts, broken links can happen...in which case, clicking on the icon does not activate the program.

If anyone wants to add programs to the list, all that needs to be done is to drag or create a shortcut to the appropriate program executable in C:\Windows\Program Files. Conversely, if I wanted to change the location of the icons on that list, I'd just create the icons I wanted in a folder and remove the icons I did not want (by merely deleting them from All Programs.

I don't know if this will result in all of the sub-menu options that appear currently in All Programs, but it should work for the applications themselves (provided the shortcut is made to the proper executable.

Try it.

Louis

#3 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

Hi Louis,

That was a very helpful reply...

Newly-armed with the understanding that All Programs menu items are nothing more than ordinary shortcuts, I've begun the process of reorganizing my All Programs menu again, slowly...

I started this evening by moving the All Programs menu shortcuts to about 10 of my non-critical apps into the `Applications' folder I mentioned earlier. So far, none of the icons for executables affected by the move have defaulted (although, for some odd reason, the icons for two of the program group folders did). If broken shortcuts to executables DO occur as a result of my actions, however, I am now much more confident in my ability to solve the problem manually.

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 02 January 2008 - 05:42 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:, happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users