Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Msconfig From Run Command

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ladylei

ladylei

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

SifuMike in the hijackthis forum recently helped me remove a very nasty vundo infection. The only thing we couldn't fix is accessing msconfig from the run command. I can live with it but he suggested I post in this forum to see if there may be a fix.

I can browse to C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and access msconfig.exe from there.
I can paste or type the above path in the Run command and it will access msconfig.
But if I type msconfig in the Run command like I use to be able to do and select OK, I get a window that says "windows cannot open this file: MSCONF~1.BAK.

The vundo infection had latched onto many exe files and even renamed some. Example: it had replaced ituneshelper.exe with a different ituneshelper.exe and renamed the original to ituneshelper .exe. (with a space before .exe) It had done that to several files but I am not sure if msconfig was one of them.

Not really a major problem that can't be lived with but if anyone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

If you are sure that the system is clean, I suggest running sfc /scannow to replace any missing/damaged system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 ladylei

ladylei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

hamluis,

I appreciate the prompt reply. Yes, I feel sure that the system is clean, especially after all we went through.

I should have mentions that SifuMike had me run the sfc /scannow already. It completed the scan, never prompted for the windows CD and I still have the problem.

I didn't want to take up anyone's time on a minor issue like this, just thought I would post incase there was an easy fix.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi ladylei,

You've probably already tried this, but just in case you haven't, how about typing out msconfig.exe in full? Or possibly browse to the correct file? I'm thinking the problem could be as much with the run box as with the msconfig file.

Edited by Dialer, 01 January 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#5 ladylei

ladylei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Yes Dialer, I had already tried that.

As I mentioned in my first post, I can browse to the file and open and access the utility from there.

I can also put the full path in the Run command line and access the utility. C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

But typing msconfig or msconfig.exe in the Run command line gives the the error box saying it can't open that .bak file.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well...the fact that the file quoted in your error message...is not the right one to run msconfig...I just thought it might be worth a check.

Any file with .bak ending is just a backup file, not an executable.

To invoke msconfig via the RUN command is to really request msconfig.exe.

Either sfc /scannow or a repair install are the two methods I know will result in all system files being useable after checking/replacing.

Louis

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

As I mentioned in my first post, I can browse to the file and open and access the utility from there.

Ah, OK. I was thinking you meant you had browsed through Explorer rather than the box's browse button. My error.

To invoke msconfig via the RUN command is to really request msconfig.exe.

Yep, I knew that. I was thinking that maybe it just needed a little nudge, is all. Weirder things have worked on occasion! :thumbsup:

#8 Fredil Yupigo

Fredil Yupigo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

It's possible that you have a corrupted registry key, or there's a file named msconfig.exe.bak.

#9 ladylei

ladylei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Fredil, it may be a corrupted registry key, but I don't know which key points at which file to run. It is definitely trying to run the wrong file.

Yes, there is a file named MSConfig.exe.bak in the binaries directory. It is in caps, jsut as I typed, and I think it was related to the infection this computer had. How it got the .bak, I don't know. Maybe one of the clean and repair programs changed the name. The normal msconfig file is in all lower case.

If I delete the MSConfig.exe.bak to the recycle bin, then when I try to run it from the command line I get a message saying "windows cannot find "msconfig". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again".

Edited by ladylei, 01 January 2008 - 09:14 PM.

#10 ladylei

ladylei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

OK, I have it fixed now. Thanks for the replies and input, it got me looking around a little closer.

The registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Apps Path\MSCONFIG.EXE was pointing toward the wrong file at C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConf~1.bak

I changed MSconf~1.bak to msconfig.exe and all is working now.

#11 Fredil Yupigo

Fredil Yupigo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Yep, that was the key I was talking about :thumbsup:

Well, you're all clear now :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users