Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding A Topic Priority

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

I think that when users post a topic on BC there should be a drop down menu with a priority setting on it. E.g. Low, Medium, High. So that we know what posts are important to get done first. THis would be useful where someone might have a minor problem which doesnt need to be solved right away, then another user might have a serious problem which needs to be solved quicly and properly. I think it would come in handy quite a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

Funny you should mention this, since I almost added "no rush" in the subject line of a post I made today.

Of course everyone thinks their own problems are urgent to them, and especially for new computer users, that's pretty much true. Also, if something is marked as low priority, won't it keep getting pushed to the bottom of the pile?

In general, though, and only in some of the forums, that seems like a good idea, but maybe it could be done with flags instead of a drop-down menu. For example, the emoticons currently available for the subject line could be changed and used for that purpose.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

I think that when users post a topic on BC there should be a drop down menu with a priority setting on it. E.g. Low, Medium, High. So that we know what posts are important to get done first. THis would be useful where someone might have a minor problem which doesnt need to be solved right away, then another user might have a serious problem which needs to be solved quicly and properly. I think it would come in handy quite a lot.

Nah, I don't think this suggestion would work,because there is a never ending stream of urgents, and the no hurry ones would probably never get answered. Just my thoughts.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

I can easily see this feature being abused by members, and misused by those who think they've got this terrible worm that's infecting their computer and is sure to take over the world thus eventually leading to the end of human civilization as we all know it......when in reality it's just their screen saver kicking on after 20 minutes if sitting idle.

When creating a topic, you can post smiley's etc. next to your title, one of which I believe is an "!" in a triangle. This would bring a bit more attention to ones topic, and is often used by members who need to add a sense of urgency to their post.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Yeah, I guess when you reall think about it, it would be abused by members and the ones with low priority wouldnt get answered.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Every Member, especially those new to computing, would think that their problem is urgent, and would so designate. And most Members would probably understand that low priority posts would not get any attention, so they would not use that designation.
Fortunately, there are enough people helping others here at BC that almost all posts get a response rather quickly, unless the problem requires a very specific area of expertise in which case the answer may take longer. Moreover, your friendly Staff monitors all posts and often will issue a "call for help" in cases of unanswered or difficult posts.

In reality, the best way to assure a quick and helpful reply is to carefully compose the initial post, making sure it is understandable and providing as much information as is possible.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users