Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/malware Protection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

This is in reference to Grinnlers Here is a list of Virus/Malware related links, software, and resources to help with the removal of Spyware.
Use an AntiVirus Software
It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:
Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

I have been sifting through a number of BSOD for some time trying to locate the problem which seems to be mildly under control, at least for the moment.

During this time I have changed a few things in msconfig and would like to get it back to the normal start up mode, but thats another story.

For now my question is in Security, since I have removed and disabled one or more, AV/SW programs.

In Security Center my Virus protection is not found. Automatic Updates is On, Firewall is On.

Presently I have installed ;

SpyBot S&D

Bit Defender

McAfee Stinger

SuperAnti Spyware

In order to have my guard up one or more of these should be running correct ?

Since these are no longer listed in msconfig, how do I get one of these running, Which would you advise to be running ?

I uninstalled AVG and AdAware

Edited by Jove, 01 January 2008 - 05:11 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

Have you tried reinstalling any of those programs?

I'm not sure which of those are the best to use. Is Mcafee Stinger's full name Mcafee Avert Stinger? I did a quick google search, which revealed that Stinger is not a replacement for full anti-virus protection. If memory serves correctly, none of those other programs are primarily anti-viruses either, though they can detect viruses.

Personally, I use AVG Free Home Edition, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and maybe a firewall on XP. Ad-Aware is also an excellent program to use.

Edited by sharpe95, 01 January 2008 - 10:09 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Is your BitDefender... BitDefender Antivirus the Paid version? Then it is running Realtime.
The only other program running in real time there is Spybot (considered Antipyware) unless you have the Paid version of SUPERAntispyware.

Windows does not monitor what A/V,A/S or firewall you use other than it's own. But it will tell you if you have no AV or firewall in Security
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

Bit Defender is free version, . . . What do you mean Real Time ?

SpyBot, at one time was providing messages detecting registry changes, and I believe that it was listed in either services or startup, so I guess it was running. But I am pretty sure it isn't running now and is not listed, etc.

AVG I know was running and needed to be un-installed do to a corrupt installation file, and am trying to contact AVG on a retry of free trial, since I really would like to try its compatibility again as I was having some interferences, (BSOD), (not necessarily do to AVG), , at the time.

Edited by Jove, 02 January 2008 - 12:40 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Real-time means that the program is constantly monitoring your computer, all the time. Some free anti-malware programs don't do this.

If Spybot detected registry changes, it was TeaTimer.exe. TeaTimer runs in the background, detecting malicious processes and also alerting you to registry changes. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

Doesn't AVG Free Edition have an unlimited trial period?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

30 days and that's only for automatic updates. I like SpywareBlaster. You just have to be sure to update it if you have the free version. I usually do that weekly.

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

Bit Defender's free version isn't a full anti-virus program, either, and they themselves say so. I'd suggest you get something in the way of a real AV program on your computer soon, before you find yourself infected - even if it's only something by way of another limited-time trial version until you can settle on what you ultimately want to use.

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thanks,
Thats a lot of good advice, and it will be used well.

Your right, about Tea Timer, I was advised to disable it when I had conflicts, and pretty much did not realize that this was the, "Running in Real Time " portion of the program", I like AVG and hope that the next install will have fewer problems, it may have had conflicts with the Java 6 update 2, that I was unaware of, as I uninstalled it after uninstalling Tea Timer.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Java is now Version 6 Update 3, recommend using the offline download. Uninstall all previous versions first. Do one reboot after all are removed then install new.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users