Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad Aware Se Personal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Recently I tried the newer version of Ad Aware2007 on my HP Pavillion with Vista Home Premium, and as stated elsewhere, it was too much of a resource hog, and I removed it from my computer. I currently use Super Antispyware along with AVG Free anti spyware. Today while doing some maintenance on my computer I discovered that I still had the software for my older version of Ad Aware SE Personal downloaded, so I ran the .exe file, installed, and ran a full scan. I always liked this program for anti spyware. My question is, would this be something to keep even though it is outdated and may not be supported by Lavasoft anymore?

If there are current users of this software, or others that have good ideas/thoughts, please feel free to respond. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well, I may have answered part of my question, as a visit to the Lavasoft home page states that as of yesterday, there will be no updates to the definitions made available to Ad Aware SE Personal, so that may do it for me. Any replys are still welcome, thanks.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Any anti-malware application is only as good as its definitions are current, especially given all the new ways some people find to do harm to your computer. I would certainly not rely on Ad-AwareSE for protection, especially since there are many other, free applications available (two of which you already have installed), and would uninstall it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

Note for others reading this thread: Per Lavasoft, Ad-Aware SE expired Dec 31, 2007. If you haven't updated your version to Ad-Aware 2007 please do that now.
lavasoftsupport.com

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:24 AM

I like Ad Aware 2007 for I observed it has intelligent feature.So I used to run it to deep scan malwares that have not been traced by those antispywares and malware removal tools I chose to run first.What's good about that is that it can detect hidden infections however,it hangs when it is about to finish so does not complete the cleaning process.I have attempted to install and uninstall this program thrice but did not work successfully.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

however,it hangs when it is about to finish so does not complete the cleaning process

Have your tried running your scans in "Safe Mode"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

Yes but there was box that appeared saying that program can not be run in safe mode nd so prompted me to switch bck to normal mode.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

I don't know about the free version, but my paid version of AdAware Se Personal is still receiving support. There were updates both on Jan. 2 and today. I figure I'll keep it until they discontinue updating it, then I'll switch to something comparable. I like the Ad-Watch feature of the paid version and would like something similar to take its place.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 blackchaos93

blackchaos93

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

I like Ad Aware 2007 for I observed it has intelligent feature.So I used to run it to deep scan malwares that have not been traced by those antispywares and malware removal tools I chose to run first.What's good about that is that it can detect hidden infections however,it hangs when it is about to finish so does not complete the cleaning process.I have attempted to install and uninstall this program thrice but did not work successfully.

I'm having problems with Ad Aware 2007, so I don't use it. I scan and for some reasons, I can't get past scanning the cookies for Mozilla Firefox... it just closes for some reasons.

So I just stick to Spyware Doctor and Superantispyware.
I hate my life :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users