Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Saved Pfc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KeeperOfCats

KeeperOfCats

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

I've been cleaning up a laptop that had adware / spyware / trojans. Got most everything cleaned out, but Task Manager shows "AOL Saved PFC" under running applications. I cannot figure out how to get rid of it. I have searched the hard drive for any AOL file or folder and deleted them, but this item still shows up in Task Manager at each boot. I end the application and it comes right back. I tried using MSCONFIG but then got a different message at each start up. Want machine to come up clean since user is a novice.

This machine was purchased refurbished. Previous user obviously used AOL, but current user never has. I'm not a complete beginner, but not an expert either. So if I need to poke around in the registry, I need to know exactly where. Thanks so much for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Have you come across a folder called Saved On My PC? I found this from AOL:

You can store e-mail you receive or send on your computer in the Personal Filing Cabinet. In AOLŪ 9.0 versions, the Personal Filing Cabinet is labeled the Saved on My PC folder. The Personal Filing Cabinet is saved on your computer.

Since the current user of the computer doesn't use AOL, the folder can be safely deleted if it still exists on the computer.
If there, and it won't delete reboot into safe mode and try deleting from there.

more info about PFC can be found here:

http://help.channels.aol.com/kjump.adp?articleId=187672

http://help.channels.aol.com/kjump.adp?articleId=190677

#3 KeeperOfCats

KeeperOfCats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Queen-Evie
I think I've deleted that file since I deleted the entire AOL folders that I found under Documents and Settings. But I will do another search for the filing cabinet. I've returned the PC to the owner, but I can try that in a day or two. The owner was having withdrawal not having her PC and I had it cleaned up enough so she could use it again. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions and links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users