Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se Users

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

We know that Windows 98SE is slowly (or not so slowly)losing support in the big wide world :thumbsup:

what protection do YOU have on your win 98se computer and for how long do you think it will be 'supported' and update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Actually, Windows 98 is basically a dead operating system. There are a lot of people still using it yes, but you should really think about upgrading. At LEAST to windows 2000 where there is still some support, even though it is not much of a jump. In all reality, you can get a new dual core PC from companies like J & R for about 300 even. This includes a 3 year warranty and it comes with Vista installed. Now dont get me wrong, if I was to recieve that PC I would instantly reformat it with windows XP cause everyone knows that vista is going to suck until they come out with some service packs.

Live for today, buy a better pc, or go to a pawn shop and purchase windows 2000 for like 5 bucks.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

but does not answer the question of what thsoe who ARE running computers ON windows 98se platform use for protection and security ; hense question directed AT such users to pool information on what we DO use and how useful we find it :thumbsup:

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Well, IF i used windows 98, I would pray to god that I could find software that will work with it! lol, I think sometimes the only options you would have would be norton or Mcafee *shiver*.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

which is why this thread is asking those who DO use win98se what they DO use for protection etc ; I too have an XP machine but am 'caring for' my win 98se one and wish to pool information from other 98se users

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

what protection do YOU have on your win 98se computer

What protection are you talking about Ruby, anti-virus, spyware, adware, webbrowser or something else?

I've been using Win98SE for the past 8 years and apart from anti-virus I've had no additional protection. I've used Uninstall Manager for the past 5 years and nothing gets into my hard drive without I know about it. I would recommend Uninstall Manager to any Windows user. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

ANY programs that you use ; which antivirus and which other protection? (preferably free ones )

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I used to use McAfee Anti-Virus for many years but I had problems installing the updates each week. About six months ago I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.484, installed it and it works great. In fact it works better than McAfee, it found a virus that McAfee couldn't and its free.

As for the other protection I haven't found that I needed anything. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I used to use McAfee Anti-Virus for many years but I had problems installing the updates each week. About six months ago I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.484, installed it and it works great. In fact it works better than McAfee, it found a virus that McAfee couldn't and its free.

As for the other protection I haven't found that I needed anything. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the double post but my browser was acting slow so I click again and it posted it twice. Admin can you please delete this second post, thanks.

Edited by Keithuk, 01 January 2008 - 06:03 PM.

Keith

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

in Septemebr of this year avg 7.5 support vanishes so an alternative hopefully free av will be needed :thumbsup:

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I dual boot 98SE & XP but I run 98 as my primary OS. Why? Because it is simple and solid. Easy to fix when it breaks
I think it is the best OS Microsoft ever made! They took what they learned with 95 & just made it better.
There are still a suprizing amount of people running it. Out of my client database 41%.
Not everyone can afford to upgrade at Microsoft's whim.

For protection I use AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone Alarm 6.1.774 and SuperAntispyware 3.9.
As a tech, and a business owner, I am wondering what to do for my customers when AVG pulls support for 98.
I am hoping that the definition updates still work but no more program updates.
That would be the best case scenario

For a word processor I use Word for a quick letter. But if I want to get anything serious done I use a product called AMI PRO. It was Windows very first native word processor. Handles graphics and a lot of other stuff better than Word.
I bet I am about the only one left on the panet using it daily too!

For an office suite I use Office 97. It does everything that I need it to do and then some

In many ways the older products were better. If it does everything you want why change?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:32 AM

I have also seen CCleaner suggested for use on computers; does anyone ON win98se use it and how 'safe' is it?

and Avast antivirus at present is compatible with win98se but for how long? I do NOT wish a return to ...do I dare say it..Norton :thumbsup:

#13 chooch.42

chooch.42

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi,All. Am running ME with Symantec Corporate from work, ZA free that hasn't been updated since last ME update (still seems to be working),Spybot, AdAware SE Personal,and DK Lite. Looked at CCleaner - no ME ver. available - and searching for replacements for ALL of the above (without much luck). Soon will have to eat peanut butter for a couple years to by a new box as this old one doesn't have enough (speed, memory slots, etc.) to run newer stuff - even LINUX. Got Open Office, seems powerful, but I don't need much. Good luck finding stuff that doesn't pay the corp.s a big profit ! There may be some good stuff out there, but haven't found it. All the Best ! Bob C.

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hi,All. Am running ME with Symantec Corporate from work, ZA free that hasn't been updated since last ME update (still seems to be working),Spybot, AdAware SE Personal,and DK Lite. Looked at CCleaner - no ME ver. available - and searching for replacements for ALL of the above (without much luck). Soon will have to eat peanut butter for a couple years to by a new box as this old one doesn't have enough (speed, memory slots, etc.) to run newer stuff - even LINUX. Got Open Office, seems powerful, but I don't need much. Good luck finding stuff that doesn't pay the corp.s a big profit ! There may be some good stuff out there, but haven't found it. All the Best ! Bob C.

but what are you running on a windows 98se machine? :thumbsup:

#15 chooch.42

chooch.42

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, I'm not ALL here (ME), but shouldn't this all be compatable with 98-98SE also ? And we're all just as orphaned by MS and most others by now? Will be watching this thread hoping to pick up some ideas/answers to keep my box alive too. Thanks from...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users