Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Complete Mess On A System Restore...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

I noticed that for some reason I could no longer view any video files on my pc, i could hear them but not see them. I tried looking at all my settings and couldnt find anything to fix. I had media player classic and media player 11 loaded as well as winamp. I rolled my media player back to 10 but that wouldn't fix the problem either. I then thought I would try a system restore. I've done them before and it went as usual (rolled it back approx 2 weeks), except after the restart it said "the copy of windows is not activated" on the welcome screen. Then before my desktop came up it asked if I wanted to activate it since I have 3 days to do so. I did and all I got was a blank blue box with keys on top but nothing else. After a 5 min wait I x'd out of it then my desktop came up as usual but with a reminder on the task bar to activate windows (little keys) then another icon that when i clicked on it told me why i needed to etc. I am using a legal version of xp that was preloaded on my system when I bought the pc.

It was then that i noticed that nothing seemed to be working correctly.

I couldn't get online (says server not found in both foxfire and explorer).
I had no access to my network drive.
I had no access to an external drive for that pc.
I had no access to my usb hub.
I cannot rerun system restore as a blank window opens when i try to do so and it gives me no options. When I get that particular window i cntl/alt/delete and it says the process is running, but it never does no mattter how long I let it sit there. (I thought I could simply pick another system restore date but I don't seem to be able to)

(i went to my son's pc and googled (windows activation) i saw there was a validation program that I downloaded from microsoft; but there is no way to get it on my pc with no access to the network drive and i tried put it on a thumb drive but I can no longer find my usb ports)

I also started the pc up in safe mode with networking and nothing was really different

When i first noticed the video problems i ran avg virus scans as well as spybot amd lavasoft's ad-aware and while it found a few little things there was nothing serious. I was using trend micro on all 3 of my household pc's and when the subscription ran out in early Dec i switched all the pc's to Avg. My pc is the only one having problems as the kids seem to be running fine.

What should I do next?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Clarification: When you say "system restore" you are not talking about the Windows process...but talking about reinstalling/restoring your system O/S and programs it came with?

Who is the manufacturer of the system...what model is the system (e.g., Dell Dimension 2305)?

I suspect that the reason all those devices would not work...would be lack of drivers.

If you are talking about the Windows System Restore process, I'd be hard pressed to understand what happened to your system, without suspecting the hard drive, CMOS battery or something analogous. You should not have been required to reactivate, nor should your drivers have disappeared.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#3 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

No, I'm talking about the sytem restore found in programs/accessories/system tools/system restore. It basicallly lets you roll back your pc to an earlier date.

My system (approx 4 yrs old) is an ABS AMD 2700+ 2.16 ghz 1.75 gb ram, motherboard is an Asus a7n8x Deluxe.

Yeah I know, I have done the Windows System Restore before without a hitch. I can access my hard drives within my pc, it's just the external and network drive that I can't get to. Both were fine before the restore and both kids can still get to the network drive without any problems.

Edited by plaz, 01 January 2008 - 12:25 PM.

#4 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

ok ive managed to get my internet up and running and have activated/verfied windows. Email seems to be working and my windows system restore seems to operating although i havent used it again but it does look available. My network drive is now available although I still cant see usb drives or my external hd (which works off of usb as well).

In addition i have the problem that I cannot view any video files.

I have just gone to microsofts update page and have updated everything possible and downloaded windows media player 11.

At least I am making some headway finally!

Any help would be great!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

OK, did you check Device Manager to see what it says about those drives?

Are the drives properly reflected within My Computer?

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the external drive?

Which system is the network drive physically on?

Any problems with Internet access? Any problems using the home network between systems (other than accessing shared drive)?

I think I'd take a look in Event Viewer to try to get a handle on my system.

Louis

#6 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

I'm not sure what you are talking about the u said to check the device mgr and see what it says about the drives???

No the drives that I cant get to are not shown on mypc.

I will look for installation disk for the external and see if that does it. (although it was pretty much a plug and play WD notebook external hd)

The network drive is physically located at my pc, but I think it operates on it's own, my pc does not have to be on for others to access it.

No problems with internet access.

"I think I'd take a look in Event Viewer to try to get a handle on my system." How do I do this?

I have always had troubles with all my drives showing up in my computer. If you can do anything to help me it would be great.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

Go to Start> Control Panel and double click on System. Click on the Hardware tab, the the Device Manager tab. Expand all of the (+'s) and look for any yellow exclamation points

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 01 January 2008 - 05:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

what do i do with the exclamation points? how do i fix them?

(all 3 of my usb's are marked with yellow exclamation marks)

Edited by plaz, 01 January 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

You tell us what item they are by and describe them...we'll tell you how to try to fix them :thumbsup:.

One step at a time...

Louis

#10 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

Here are the 3 and what is listed when i hit properties for each...

Universal serial bus controllers
Standard enhanced pci to usb controller - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Standard Open USD USB Host Controller - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

When I choose troubleshoot I don't really see what to do, it says it can't find a better match for my hardware.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

Can you give us the make and model or your computer, please?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

My system (approx 4 yrs old) is an ABS AMD 2700+ 2.16 ghz 1.75 gb ram, motherboard is an Asus a7n8x Deluxe.

or do you need something more specific?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users