Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Clicking On C: Or D: Opens The Open With Tab.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

hello,

in a computer at work i have this problem, when i double click on the C: drive or D: in My Computer it doesn't open but the Open With Tab opens, so thats usually shows that there is some kind of virus or spyware on the PC, so i ran all kinds of Antivirus and Antispyware on the PC and lot of the ones listed here and they cleaned a lot of virus ... but the problem persists when i right click on one of the drives it and press on OPEN or EXPLORE or SEARCH or anything it gives the same result (the Open With tabs Opens).
is hould note here that i can access the drives normally from the Start > run > C: and the information on them is intact.

i read somewhere on the net that i should a value in the registry but that also didn't work.

Any help??

i don't want to format HD.
thanks.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

From what you describe, it appears to be a flash drive infection. Symptoms include the inability to open drives/partitions.

Flash drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes a malicious autorun.bat file which calls wscript.exe to run autorun.vbs on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

Please insert your flash drive before we begin!

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

Then perform at least one of these online Virus scans:
(The following require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean" and choose the option to "Quarantine".
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner <- Vista compatible but Internet Explorer must be Run as Administrator.
F-Secure Online Scanner. <- Follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits) (Vista compatible)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

well its a computer at work and many people use it and plug many flash drives in it so i cant keep track of flash drives.

wont the disinfector work without inserting a flash drive?
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

wont the disinfector work without inserting a flash drive?

Yes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users