Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

News: Adaware Se Will No Longer Update On Windows 98 And Me Versions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Do you have adaware SE as one of your protection programs? You may not know this but, as from today (Jan 2008)you will find it unsupported
Adaware SE no longer supports win 98 ?

and adaware 2007

is NOT compatible with Win 98se nor Win ME either :thumbsup:

(Might be useful/helpful to 'share experiences' with users OF win98se and ME computers of programs users are still able to run and ,more importantly ,update ON these platforms?) :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D due to poor testing results and no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D due to poor testing results and no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See here.

Thank you for the heads up. :thumbsup:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

I quit using Ad Aware quite somme time ago in the field. Found it doesnt find anything and isnt worth running.

Spybot 1.4 works great. 1.5 is slow and buggy, NOT recommended!

Anyone heard anything about what SuperAntiSpyware is going to do yet?
I think that is one of the best
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

Spybot 1.4 works great. 1.5 is slow and buggy, NOT recommended!

I recently downloaded an update to 1.5 that has totally improved its load time. A full system scan still takes half an hour on my machine, but I have no problem with that. I do like Teatimer. (Actually, if I could have found a copy of v. 1.4, I would have installed that in the first place. Lost it when my previous computer died.)

Anyone heard anything about what SuperAntiSpyware is going to do yet?
I think that is one of the best

I like it too, but it takes about an hour and a half for a full scan. That, plus having to run it in safe mode are pretty inconvenient for me, since I also run two Folding@Home consoles.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Spybot still has 1.5. 09/03/07 on their main page. Its too slow!
Are you running the latest beta build?

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yes, I am. It's 1.5.1.17, and it loads very fast now. My recollection is that I had to click around a bit to find the download.

Edited by Dialer, 01 January 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

What would you suggest to replace these two?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

What would you suggest to replace these two?

SUPERAntiSpyware Free - [WIN 9x/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista]
The free version does not run in real-time mode...a purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before this option can be activated. See SUPERAntiSpyware Free vs Pro Comparison Features. If your using the free version, use it as an on-demand scanner...no need to run at startup.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

what else can we throw into the package that we know WILL run safely ON comps with 98se? ( before they refuse to allow us to even connect to the internet with these platforms) :thumbsup:

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

A Squared is also pretty good. I used it for a while until I found SuperAntiSpyware I ike it the best but it also takes the longest to run if yu do the full.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

A Squared is also pretty good. I used it for a while until I found SuperAntiSpyware I ike it the best but it also takes the longest to run if yu do the full.

however a2 is losing support FOR win98se as the updates to the new search engine are not yet compatible with win98se :thumbsup:

#13 justice501

justice501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

:thumbsup: I knew for about a month about ad ware going south for Win98 and Me. Spy Bot is one program I use to keep my computer running I got hit pretty hard with something and I go in every once in while and clean it up to keep running. I have a topic with a hijack this posted under malware to be look at when they get time. I think there is a lot of us with old computers and windows systems out there. I have 3 computers with 98Se & Me. In all my family members there are probably 40 computers with old specs and old windows. Most of us just use for e-mail a little gaming, and just surfing. It amazing how short of time how technology has grown. We are very close to being push in extinction and once again being "force" to upgrade. A lot of us just don't have that kinda of money I have now went threw several systems and Win platforms I thing Win98Se was the best I seen. And the bottom line what I have works for me. Oops their I go again ranting. Does anybody know a good virus program that works with Me and 98Se that don't break the bank. I try one at Estes an on line virus scanner but it wipe out my computer that ran Me. :flowers: :

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

try this ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and 2003.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

do we know for how long ClamWin will support the windows 98 se and earlier platforms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users