Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions - Migrating To Larger System Disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bongo jerry

bongo jerry

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

PC is 2Ghz P4, 2Gb RAM. I want to migrate the current 40G drive to a larger 200GB drive. I have some questions:
1. Will a single partition 200Gb drive affect system performance?
2. If multiple partitions are best, should the paging be pointed at a separate partition? If so, how big should I make it?
3. Any recommendations for the imaging software? I was going to use MAXBlast.

Any suggestions to make the migration go smoothly?

Thanks and Happy New Year

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

A single partition won't effect your performance, but there is an advantage to having two partitions. If you make a small partition of about 15GB for you OS and the remainder for files you will have the advantage of being able to reformat the OS partition if you ever have a problem without loosing any of your files.

Maxblast incorporates a OEM version of Acronis True Image which is a good program. Read and understand the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by dc3, 31 December 2007 - 11:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

Another advantage to having a "system partition" is that if you keep it sized about 15-20GB, it will reside mostly on the outside edges of the typical >80GB hard drive, where it spins faster and reads faster. A very slight advantage but it does help.

The Paging File should always be kept on the same partition as the system files. In a rare occasion, we change it to another drive only if the C: drive is getting too full.

You need to make certain your page file has been returned to the system partition (C: drive) before you do any imaging (transfer) between the drives, if you have previously moved it.

I use True Image as well as Ghost. Either works fine.

Good luck.

DR

#4 bongo jerry

bongo jerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. A couple of further questions

Is there a guideline for setting the paging allocation? Or should I just follow the recommendation in Windows. Its recommending 3G of swap. Is that a maximum? If so, what should the minimum be?

Thanks again

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Unless there is an issue I would let Windows do its thing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Unless there is an issue I would let Windows do its thing.

that's been the best thing to do since windows xp came out

I have tried some pretty heavy duty program combinations with only 512 megs of ram and never so much as a burp out of XP about memory.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Will a single partition 200Gb drive affect system performance?

Any time you run a scan, defrag or run a disk utility it will get done quicker on a smaller partition. Plus if you have the OS on one partition and pictures, documents and music on the other, there's a better chance of not damaging them if the OS gets corruoted
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 02 January 2008 - 02:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users