Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Tut Plz

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 a.fly

a.fly

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

i'm a noob. i wanna build my first comp. a gaming system. i dont know how to set up power, cooling, and other extra curriclular stuff. i figure most of it is straight forward but bios, overclocking and cooling is over my head. i couldnt find a tutorial here so if you can direct me to one that would be great.

I'd also like some suggestions for a descent gaming setup. Asus motherboard? 8800 gts. quad core vs duo (which is more bang for the buck. and so forth.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:47 PM

Here is a few links of step by step builds.

How to build PC 1

how to build PC 2

How to build PC 3

There is also a few videos on you tube. Just search you tube for "how to build PC"

Edited by Lucky23, 31 December 2007 - 11:48 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 a.fly

a.fly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

wow. thanks lucky. i'm starting to make my list of what i'd like to put together. this is a big help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

motherboards.org check out the tutorials section
overclockers.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 01 January 2008 - 05:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 a.fly

a.fly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

AMD 64 X2, WINDSOR 3.2GHZ, 125 W DUO
ASUS AMD ATX MOTHERBOARD (NFORCE SLI)
1 GIG DDR2 CORSAIR
SEAGATE 250GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/S
ATX MIDTOWER CASE

This is what i got so far. I plan on upgrading later with 8800 gts. What type of power supply should i get? And am i missing anything else?

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

First it would be good to hit the green + sign right above where you type for a fast reply and link all the parts from newegg or what ever website so we are able to see exactly what your looking at.

Pick your parts then copy and paste the website to the green +

Also bestbuy was selling the 320GB SATA2 hd for $60 just a little bit ago and it was retail not sure if its still on sale tough.

Also you should look at getting 2gb of RAM
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

This is what i got so far. I plan on upgrading later with 8800 gts. What type of power supply should i get? And am i missing anything else?

Personally I like Seasonic or Sparkle brands. Just don't skimp on quality, add a little extra to the budget for a good one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 a.fly

a.fly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

AMD
AMD 1
MOTHERBOARD

The 2 gigs of RAM, hard drive, and case i figure i'd find the best deal on cause there's so much to choose from. I'm just trying to keep it basic for internet use and downloading. But i wanna upgrade later to a decent gaming machine: thus the chip/motherboard combo. How do i know how much wattage i need for power?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

This should give you a rough estimate:
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Looks good man. On the power supply calculator normally the wattage it gives you is continious watts not max power. I think most power supplyies are rated in max power I would look at the 80+ certifed.

Edited by Lucky23, 04 January 2008 - 12:38 PM.

#11 a.fly

a.fly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

Which is better?
motherboard 1
or
motherboard 2

Those 2 PCI x16 slots on motherboard 1: I could put 2 8800 gts in there right? or should i just stick with my original motherboard?

Edited by a.fly, 06 January 2008 - 02:27 AM.

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:26 AM

I like mobo #2, it has more PCI slots, I like to put in addon's and right now I have 3 PCI cards in my computer... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#13 a.fly

a.fly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

the reason i'm building my own comp is because i burned something out on my old one. it's a custom comp by a local comp store but they got bought out so i don't like or trust their service. can i swap out the mobo and chip and keep everything else like my hard drive with all my stuff on it? or will i have a problem with my bios and etc. recognizing new mobo? how can i fix the problem if any so i can keep my old hd to save data?

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

You can't just put the hard drive in with the OS on it and have it run. The best way would be to get a new hard drive and use it as the master and load the OS on it and all the new drivers then jumper your old drive as slave. You can explore the old drive and get what you want off of it then reformat it and use it for storage
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users