Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think My Computer Has A Virus...please Help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ellenh

ellenh

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

my computer has been acting really strangely the past few weeks, it starts with a black screen and a white cursor flashing in the top left hand screen and after a few attempts of shutting back down and restarting it coms on then goes on bout something to do with disk error please insert disk, then yesterday i had the infamous blue screen of death, i am at aloss its gettingworse, slowsdown cuts out please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Can you write down the BSOD error message?
I see you had malware trouble in sept and posted a HJ Log. Did you reformat or something to end that trouble?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ellenh

ellenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:50 AM

hi yes i did have a problem since then i bought a computer off a friend and i have had a few problems, i had avg on and when i did a check it found loads of changes to the registry or something i never wrote down what it said on the blue screen, but i have avira antivirus and pc tools firewall plus now but i did an adaware check last night and found 67 infections and it said it couldnt delete all of them which is strange so i would like you to help me please to see if it is infected, i have forgotton how to post a HJT log :thumbsup:

#4 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

Do you have HJT 2.0.2?

If you don't, you can download it here.

* Upon installation complete, click on the HijackThis shortcut on Desktop.
* It will open a window, click on Main Menu first.
* At the bottom, check "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
* Click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile".
* Upon scan complete, a notepad will pop up with the HijackThis log file. Save it to Desktop.
* Copy and post you log file in HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forums and HJT members will help you clean up the rest of your system.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Bleepingcomputer Malware Response Team

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please do NOT PM anyone with HJT logs, read this and post your logs here.

#5 ellenh

ellenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

i just put a log on but my comp had the famous blue screen of death twice now goooodd sake

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

Your issue may not be malware related so there are things you can do before posting a hijackthis log. BSOD's can be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty drivers, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis.

If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc.
  • Open your machine, check all the connections and make sure the fans are all operational.
  • Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.
  • Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air.
  • Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink as it can break down over time so.
  • Remove the cards and RAM modules, clean the contacts and reseat them.
  • Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.
  • Monitor the temperature of your CPU, motherboard, hard disks, voltages, and fan speeds.
See "Cleaning the Interior of your PC" and "General Cleaning Tricks & Tips".

Some video cards run so hot that they have their own cooling system. If the fan fails, the video processor will not be far behind and your system may start crashing. If that is the case see "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card" and "10 things to know before buying a video card".

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet". You can then gather more information doing a search of the Event ID number at:
"EventID.Net".
"Windows Security Log Events".
"Events and Errors Message Center".

An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).
If you have done this, then instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. You can use Google to search the error code, use the links below to investigate and troubleshoot or provide that information here so we can assist you.

"Extract troubleshooting info from Windows XP BSOD error messages".
"How to Find BSOD Error Messages".
"Events and Errors Message Center".
"Windows XP Professional Error Messages".
"Troubleshooting Windows Stop Messages".

Other Troubleshooting Tools:

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can also use NextSensor to check temperature and voltage or SpeedFan to monitor voltages, fan speed, SMART status, and temperatures. SpeedFan can help you investigate the reasons for an unpredictable reboot or for a failing hard disk as well as whether you are likely to experience temperature related issues.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

You can use BurnInTest to stress test the CPU, hard drives, RAM, CD-ROMs, CD burners, DVDs, sound cards, graphics, network connection, printers, video playback. This utility works on all Windows versions to include Vista (32-bit & 64-bit).

Another option is to use Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the RAM for errors with a comprehensive set of diagnostic memory tests or you can test your RAM with either of the following tools:

Memtest86+ and follow the instructions to Diagnose with Memtest86+.
Once a bootable disk is made, just leave it in the drive and reboot your computer. However, before rebooting, you need to enter the BIOS setup and make sure that the Boot Order is set so that your first boot device is either the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive, depending on which type of disk you made. If necessary, change the boot order, save your changes, and exit Setup. When the machine restarts it should boot from your Memtest disk, and the program will start automatically.

Memtest86.
Download ISO images for creating a bootable Memtest86 CD-ROM or an installable from Windows/DOS to create a bootable floppy disk or usb flash drive. Read the directions under Technical Info and allow Memtest86 to run through the entire battery of tests for at least 4 full passes (or let it run overnight). Any errors indicate that there is likely a problem with your physical memory (RAM).

Note" If you need to replace your RAM and unsure what type you current have, then use the Crucial System Scanner.

Finally, look for problem entries in Device Manager and check if updates are available for your drivers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 ellenh

ellenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

hi, the inside was cleaned and checked last week so there is no problemsinside so will take a look at thee other things you put on the thread

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Ok. Keep us updated as to what you find out so we know which direction to proceed. BSOD's have also been known to be caused by rootkits but I like to check the obvious first. Providing us with the exact BSOD error message also helps to pinpoint what is causing your crashes.

#9 ellenh

ellenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

if i get it again i will make a note but i have posted my HJT log

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

There was nothing of significant concern showing in your log. I responded with a few instructions for you to complete, then closed that thread to avoid confusion. After completing those instructions, continue with gathering the specific info from your BSOD diagnostic screen with error message and paste it in your next reply.

I did note that nview.dll, nViewLoadHook was running. This is a DLL to enable multiple display monitors on a single computer but it can be a cause of numerous problems on some computers. Since you have Spybot S&D installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. Untick the entry for nview.dll so it will no longer run at startup and let me know if that has any effect on your system.

#11 ellenh

ellenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

hi i have only just got on as i had to reformat and it closed down again the BSOD came on but i could only write down the one error message which said STOP: 0X000000F4 and there were a few more god knnows whats happening to it

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

When doing a search on the net for 0X000000F4, you will find similar reports with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. There should be other information associated with that error code. Without it, pinpointing the exact cause is difficult. Did you look for the complete error in the Event Log?

I'm still inclined to suspect a hardware or driver issue is responsible. If that's the case, a reformat will not help. You need to start performing some of the diagnostic tests I recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users