Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Updater On My Rightside Of Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Somehow Shockwave Updater got on my toolbar in the lower right on startup. How do i get this off and the other things that open on startup? I want to whittle the list down becuase I am getting a slow start on my CPU. I make Zone Alarm Deny most of the stuff to connect to the net when it asks.

I just want to make my CPU faster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

To get rid of startup items, use the MSCONFIG tool. Click Start>Run> and type MSCONFIG. This will allow you to turn off startup items and services. One SURE FIRE way to speed up your PC is get rid of Zone Alarm. That program is a system killer anyways.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the help. What would be good to use besides Zone Alarm? I think I got Windows Defender on here also.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

If you know the basics of Internet security, you really wont need a firewall of any type. Just make sure that you dont do anything stupid on the web like install things you dont know about without researching it first. Dont install random Active X controls Ect. IF you still worry, I could recommend 2 programs that will be good. Superantispyware (www.superantispyware.com) is good for spyware removal, and PcCillin (www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin) as the firewall. Zone alarms just uses way to much CPU and Memory than it is worth. That and sometimes it just messes up your computers network connections.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

Honestly, MSCONFIG is the wrong tool for that...IMO, a tool like AUTORUNS is much better.

MSCONFIG is meant to be a troubleshooting tool, not a way to control the items which start on a system at boot.

Autoruns is (now) a Microsoft tool for doing exactly what it seems you want to do.

AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users