Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

My girlfriend is running Vista on her new laptop. Recently, Office 2007 randomly stopped working. When I tried to reinstall it, I got an error saying that the installer couldn't write to a folder. Turns out that that folder is corrupt. Everything Ive done to delete it has failed. I tried just deleting it, and using the install disc repair. I tried 2 programs, Unlocker and Delete Dr. but neither of them worked. Im hoping someone here has an idea of what to do.

Heres a few details about the laptop:
Dell Inspiron 1501
Vista Home Premium
Office 2007 Enterprise.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

Did you try to uninstall office or just did you try try do a reinstall over itself? What is the folder that is corrupted?
MCP
MSDST

#3 TVT

TVT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

I tried both. The folder is ...\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\1033

Update: I managed to rename the corrupt folder and the install worked, but I still want to delete the corrupt folder

Edited by TVT, 01 January 2008 - 08:09 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Tizzer

Tizzer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Whenever I have had problems with Vista files or folders not doing what I tell them to (delete, move etc.) I have found this Take Ownership file helpful. It's a little reg fix that adds an option to your right-click menu. I'm not sure if it will help on a corrupt file but if you take a snapshot of your registry beforehand you can restore it if you no longer require it.

Be careful with your registry. Let me know if you need help with saving and restoring it (before you mess with it of course).

The file can be downloaded from here.

#5 TVT

TVT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

I was able to fix it with chkdsk.

THanks for the replies, though.
Posted Image