Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sad Ending For Poor Old Netscape Browser ...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

Suspect I may be one of the few relics still using my trusty Netscape browser, but just in case there are others out there with a special affection for it as well, it's pretty much being put to death as of 1 February 2008. Sob!

Guess it will still 'work' but without updates, will be hardly worthwhile. Never ever got a 'bug' while using Netscape - only wish the same could be said for 'that which will remain nameless' browser. Guess it's time for me to get with the times and switch solely to Opera and FireFox.

(Source and full story) ... http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en...ticleID=2844853
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

As far as I can remember, I have never used Netscape browser. So, its execution would probably not evoke much emotion from my side.

But I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest condolences for you personally, and all the family and friends of Netscape for the great loss and sudden demise of your beloved browser!

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I learned on that browser way back when!

Its an AOL product now apparently though. And you know what that means!
AOL is most likely next!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

My deepest sympathies, dear Mara.

It was really good in days gone bye-bye.

As for AOL ... 'nuff said.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

fortunately I only require that Browser for a few sites that do not 'do well' on IE6; however, I note the comment from that link

Its current caretakers, Time Warner Inc.'s AOL, decided to kill further development and technical support to focus on growing the company as an advertising business.

'nuff said perhaps? :thumbsup:

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts about the sad death of my poor Netscape - huge gentle smile.

Off I go to make a decision between Opera and FireFox. Although I can use both for browsing, guess I'd have to choose one to get my email's through since I've always used Netscape.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

A nice little eulogy for Netscape

http://www.internetnews.com/reporters_note...12075_3719046_1
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thanks, Koan - it was a great read!

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

An excellent virtual trip through browser history. I actually started to wax nostalgic for the good old days on the net as I read this piece. Thanks, KY.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts about the sad death of my poor Netscape - huge gentle smile.

Off I go to make a decision between Opera and FireFox. Although I can use both for browsing, guess I'd have to choose one to get my email's through since I've always used Netscape.

Unlike Netscape 7, Firefox is ONLY a browser. Firefox, incidentally, is developed by the same folks that originally developed Netscape. Thunderbird is the e-mail client made by the same folks. It is a separate software.

I basically bid farewell to Netscape a few years back when version 8 came out. It was at that time that AOL had taken it over. I never did care for version 8 and rolled back to 7. As soon as I found out about Firefox, I tried it and have been using it ever since.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited to correct incorrect name.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 January 2008 - 04:56 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well, huge duh to me - and a huge smile for letting me know about the email system for FireFox! Thank you, thank you!

For last night I spent ages trying to figure out where the email thingie was in FireFox! I've only used Netcape's 'Messenger' - and this email program came as part of Netscape. (By the way, I too rolled back to V7!)... so couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get mail through FireFox. Yup, huge duh to me! :thumbsup:

I have FireFox and now just need to download and install 'Thunderbird' ... then download and install 'Opera' - and try to decide between the two of them which to use regularly. Figure I have another 3 weeks before I need to make the big switch - oooh, the stress! Huge smile!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users