Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch Only Accepts Some Ports Used

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

My network switch (Cisco Systems/Linksys EZXS55W) has 6 ports. One is being used for the connection to the modem (Actiontec GT701-WG), 4 connecting to other PCs on the network, and 1 is empty. Whenever I try to use the empty port for another PC the ethernet light on the modem dies, and then starts blinking intermittently (once every 3 seconds) and the network is simply dead. How can I get the switch to accept the 6th connection without killing my network? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

The problem that you are having is that usually on a 5 port switch, it will have the 5 ports and an extra "Uplink" port. Usually you will use the uplink port for your modem/router. IF you have that plugged in, you CANT use the 5th ethernet port. The reason they make it like this is to ensure that you dont have issues of not seeing the Uplink ports light. If you notice, if something is plugged in the uplink port, the lights for port number 5 are active. Your best bet to get another pc on the network is get a bigger switch, or hook your modem into a router and that should get you a few extra ports.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users