Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Video Output On A Gpu-less Mobo

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

I bought parts to make myself a new computer, but I'm stuck. The motherboard doesn't have an integrated GPU like most do. I didn't think that was a problem, because I had thought that you simply put in another GPU (in my case, a PCI) and hook the monitor up to that, set the BIOS/install OS, and go on your merry way. But apparently that's not it.

Everything is hooked up, what I need to do is figure out how to get video output on a motherboard that has no built-in graphics card. Does anyone know what to do at this point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

Sure :thumbsup:.

In the first place, onboard graphics are fairly new to some and are not necessarily on every motherboard. Before onboard graphics, I remember having to install a video card on the motherboard, just as we installed modems, soundcards, and NICs...because these things were not part of the motherboard. They were installed as PCI cards and not considered innate to the motherboard. Motherboard manufacturers began to add them, ostensibly to make life easier on consumers who wanted computers but did not want to understand all the functions.

So you are correct in your assumption that a PCI video card, fitted properly in a PCI slot, should provide video function if properly connected.

The question is: Is the card installed properly? Do you have the drivers? Are the connections properly made?

And...the motherboard may not have onboard video, but it may have a video slot for adding a video card.

Manufacturer/make of motherboard, please?

Louis

#3 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

It's an MSI. And yes, everything's hooked up. It's a relatively old card, so there's no power slots that need to be plugged in.

I'm not getting any video, though. With no video, I obviously can't install the OS or anything, and unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the process to do it with my eyes closed. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

MSI what?

What's the make/model on the video card?

How do you know the card works, if it's so old?

Louis

#5 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

Because it was working when I pulled it out of my other computer 15 minutes ago... I did say relatively old.

The motherboard is an MSI P6N SLI Platinum. The video card is a ChainTech GeForce FX 5200.

EDIT: Perhaps it would be easier if I fully explained the steps I've taken so far.

I bought a complete Mobo/CPU/RAM package as well as a PCI x16 GPU, intending to switch out the old parts from my computer (I'm typing this on a different comp) and put on a fresh installation of Windows XP. After removing the old mainboard and putting in the new one (including the CPU and RAM) I thought that you could simply insert a graphics card, and get video output without having to install any drivers. I thought you could do that, and once the OS is installed, THEN install the GPU drivers.

If I'm understanding it correctly, that SHOULD be the case, but I'm not getting any video output. I tried two separate monitors and got the same result, so it's not a monitor problem.

Edited by Village Baka, 31 December 2007 - 05:31 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

I have to punt :flowers:.

Board looks pretty good, card looks good so I have to agree with you...it should be working.

We'll wait for some thoughts from fresher minds :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Ah, I was hoping to have this working sooner (I picked up copies of Oblivion and Supreme Commander for the occasion) but it looks like I'll have to be patient. :thumbsup:

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

as well as a PCI x16 GPU

Do you mean you have a PCIe GPU card in the system as well as having the FX5200 in a regular PCI slot? With the monitor screen connected to the 5200?

If that's it, remove the 5200 and connect the monitor to the PCIe x16 GPU, then it should work as you expect.

I may have misunderstood your post, but it seems you might be thinking of older systems that used two cards, a 2D card and a graphics accelerator card? If so, the PCIe x16 GPU does it all. You could use the 5200 to run a second screen, but the boot-up video and windows desktop would appear on the primary GPU.

If you've only fitted the 5200 in a PCI slot to see what happened, then hamluis' original suggestion is probably correct - the board defaults to expecting a video card in the PCIe x16 slot. To use PCI video alone, oddly you'd probably have to fit a PCIe card so you could see the BIOS setup screen, enter the BIOS, change the primary video to PCI, save that, shut down and swap video cards!

Edited by Platypus, 31 December 2007 - 06:18 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

I have two cards: the PCI, and a PCIx16 (which is new). The motherboard is spanking new too.

I had originally tried using just the PCI, but that didn't work. I've tried the PCI in all three PCI slots, the x16 card in both of the x1 slots, but nothing's coming up. I've been using just one card at a time.

EDIT: LOL! I just caught that edit you just made. I'll give that a shot.

Edited by Village Baka, 31 December 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#10 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

No dice. I've tried both of the cards by themselves (and together) but I'm getting no video from either card. This is frustrating... I spent $500 on this stuff and it's aggravating to be blocked by such a goofy problem.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

Two separate video cards tried independently of each other right? I just wanted to make sure we are all clear on that.

Maybe it is not the video cards at all. I assume that the system gets power and that the fan on the CPU spins, right?
Any beeps on startup? IF so, how many. Count them.

Backup and regroup for a sec. Take both video cards out of the system & turn it on with only power connected, nothing else. The system should look for a video card on POST, not find it and return a series of beeps. 8 I think.
If that is not the case, turn the system off, unplug it and reseat the memory. Maybe the RAM is not firmly seated.

Remember too that sometimes you have to bend the bracket on cards a little with a pair of pliers for them to seat properly. Thats why I am asking you to take the cards out to see what happens.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Have you installed the SLI switch card? Is it set for sli or Single mode. Are you installing the PCI-E card in the PCI-E2 slot. this is the only PCI-E slot that outputs video. In the bios menu the PCI-E is set as the default video. In order to change that you will need to get a PCI-E card to work and change it to PCI.

Credit: MSI P6N SLI owners manual link

Edit: Does your PCI-E card have an additional power connector on the edge of the card?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 31 December 2007 - 06:57 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

you did buy a new power supply for this upgrade?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

@ Eyesee: Yes, independently. But I want to use the PCIE 16x card, so forget about the regular PCI card altogether (I don't know why I mentioned it in the first place). Yes, it's getting power, and the CPU fan is twirling away. There's no beeps with the GPU in, nor are there any with it out. I tried reseating the RAM anyway, but it didn't help. I also checked to make sure that the card was fully entering the slot, and it is.

@ Sneakycyber: The SLI selector is set to single. And what do you mean by PCI-E2? As in, the second PCIE 16x slot (I just tried it, same results as the other 16x slot)? Also, just forget about the regular PCI card. And yes, the 16x card has a power slot, I've had it plugged in each time I test it.

@ DaChew: No, I already have a 500W PSU, and it's delivering power-a-plenty to everything. It doesn't look like a power problem.

Edited by Village Baka, 31 December 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

There's no beeps with the GPU in, nor are there any with it out.

So the system is not actually getting to boot up through to completion of the POST (Power On Self Test), at which point you should get a single beep.

Double-check all the connections according to the motherboard installation guide, make sure the CMOS CLR jumper is not in the CLR position (some boards ship with it in this position for ESD protection). Remove the video card, RAM, and all the drive (IDE,SATA) cables and anything else plugged into expansion slots, boot up - if the motherboard and CPU are operating correctly you should get insistent beeping indicating memory not found. If not, clear the CMOS in case a static zap has set an unbootable condition. If still no beeps, consider motherboard mounting shorting to case, PSU problem, faulty motherboard or CPU (CPU failure very rare, but damage during fitting or incorrect fitting possible).

Was the board supplied with an LED diagnostic display? If so, does it give an indication?

Does your PSU have the 4 or 8 pin power connector plugged in adjacent to the northbridge cooler:

Posted Image

Edited by Platypus, 31 December 2007 - 07:49 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users