Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop 0x0000007e Error When Acquiring Network Address

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Im helping a friend fix his computer it is a Dell Diminsion 5100 with windows media center w/ sp2.

i have recently removed lots of virus and spyware from his computer. i used AVG and spybot, (both updated) and im pretty sure i have cleaned everything off, i have scanned it 3 times. but everytime i try to plug ethernet cable and his computer starts to acquire the network address or whatever i get a Stop 0x0000007e BSOD error. i looked into the error log and didnt generate any errors.-not for the BSOD error anyway. i reinstalled the network driver from the dell website. and ran a test using memtest 86. any help would be great, thanks.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Is the system properly updated for critical updates?

Louis

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

After your PC has been ravaged by several virus and spywares then they may leave some lasting system problems. You may find there is no other way to fix the problem than to reinstall XP, media centre, SP2 and all updates (if you have it all on a disk). Even Microsoft support doesn't always know whats going on in XPs 40 something million lines of code.

Anyway I wonder what would happen if you set up a different network connection and assigned IP addresses? Then it should skip aquiring network address.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Me, I would just uninstall the NIC (via Device Manager), let it reinstall and see if there is any change.

I might also do the On/Off routine with any router/cable modem, just to start anew.

Louis

#5 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

hmm sounds good i will give it a try. i hope i dont have to reinstall everything...i hate doing that
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#6 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

ok i tried manually assigning the network address...didnt work, tried uninstalling and reinstalled the new nic drivers from dell support, updated the bios, updated the chipset. the only other thing is i need to get the new windows updates, but i dont know how to do that for sure since i cant get in the internet to use go to windows updates. i have tried using safe mode with networking and it does not work either. i think im going to try and put a different nic card in it.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Sometimes a new NIC is the answer :thumbsup:. Let us know...

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

Try searching your hard drive for files ending in .dmp (usually in C:\Windows\MiniDump) if you find them, use this link to perform and analysis and post the results back here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

For an 0x7e error, you should get back the name of the driver that caused it, either on the BSOD or in the !analyze results. That's normally the driver that needs to be replaced
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

sorry for the slow reply.

ok well i replaced the nic card and all seemed well...no problems, nothing. i finished the rest of the work on the computer, got all the windows updates and stuff now that i was able to get it on the internet. i probably had rebooted 10 times with no problems. i give the guy his computer back and first thing that happens is the bsod. im picking it back up from him in the morning? any more suggestions, im probably going to reinstall windows. except he has a dell. and i dont know if he as recovery disk or anything. i know i saw his windows CD key on the back of his machine. so. . . the new nic didnt work.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#11 Wolftacular

Wolftacular

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:46 AM

I found a temporary fix. If you do network boot when starting the computer, you won't get the blue screen but only for that session, and only sometimes. When you restart, u have to do it again. I guess it's useful if you need to download an update or something.

#12 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

ya what i eventually did was reinstall windows. which is what i should have done in the first place...i thought it would be quicker to try and fix the problem. although i had to wait for dell to ship my the branded copy of xp media, it was not the oem version..but it works now thanks for the help

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:20 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users