Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Revo Uninstaller Is Malware? (probably False Positive, But Want To Make Sure)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

I installed Revo Uninstaller from the list of freeware applications to replace commercial ones. I also recently downlaoded the trial version of a2 Anti-Malware.

Yesterday I put the computer up to do a a2 scan, and I was surprised to see that Revo Uninstaller was classified as a trojan.
Here is the entry:
C:\Program Files\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller\uninst.exe detected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.VB.vx

I'm pretty sure it's a false positive (at least, I hope so) and I have submitted the file for analysis to the a2 team. So can someone here help me confirm whether it's a legitimate trojan or a false positive?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

I didn't see anything mentioning Revo Uninstaller as being anything other than what it is advertised to be, I would guess that it is a false positive.

If you are looking for a good freeware anti virus try AVG, a lot of us here use it and like it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

Yes, a2 team suggested I upload the file. I have already did, and I'm sure they will respond soon. I'm very sure it's a false positive now, since you and the a2 team think it's a false positive.

And thanks for the suggestion of AVG. But truth be told, I already had it installed on my computer with a2, Spybot, and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thanks!
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users