Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start Up And Hang Time

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 siren1234

siren1234

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:29 PM

OK I have a P4 2.4 GHZ with 1.18 RAM, C drive is 78 GB with 71 free and D is 111 GB with 98 free. CPU usage is all over the place, and really slow starting up. I moved the pagefile.sys from C to D and didnt see any real difference. I have updated and ran anti virus, Superantispyware, spybot and ran online virus scans, all came up with nothing. Also ran defrag and still the same. Total virtual memory is 2.0GB and available is 1.96GB. Total physical memory is 1280 MB with 754 available. Commit charge is no where near the limit. I took out the RAM and put one in at a time and came up with this 512MB = 512 total with 133 available, another 512 = 512 total with 115.44 available, and one 256 = 256 with 13.73 available. Do I need more RAM or is there a worst problem that I don't know about. The HDD was formatted about 3 months ago and I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks. Page file space is 5.35GB on the D now. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hi Siren1234,
There are many things that windows could be doing to slow your computer on startup. You can look Here for more info.
Heres some stuff you can try:

1. Defrag your hard drive. Use the built in XP defragmenter (dfrg.msc). It's the only one that properly optimizes your system's prefetching to speed up boot time.

2. Go to Microsoft's website and download BootVis.exe. It will optimize your prefetching even further than the built in defragmenter. Use both to get the best results: dfrg.msc first, then BootVis.exe->Tools menu->Optimize. Also, you can use it to benchmark your boot time before and after system tweaks and software installations.

3. Go to Start->Run... and type or paste "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This will start a built in optimization routine that runs in the System Idle Process
and shows up as "rundll32.exe" in task manager. It normally runs automatically
every 3 days. It will run for 15 mins to half an hour, so don't try to do anything too intensive while its running. If you get sick of it running, you should probably log off or restart to be safe, rather than killing the process.

4. Delete anything that you don't need in the Start->Programs->Startup folder, and in the Registry under HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run and HKCU->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run.

5. Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services or go to Start->Run... and type "services.msc" to display services running on your machine. About 1/3 should be automatic, 1/3 should be manual, and 1/3 should be disabled, IMHO. If you don't know which to change, search google for "XP services" and read one of the many webpages that describe each service.

6. If you have a secondary hard drive put the page file on that, not the boot drive. Set its size to about 2.5 times the amount of physical RAM you have. You can do this by right-clicking my computer and selecting Properties->Advanced tab->Performance section->Settings button->Advanced tab again->Virtual Memory section->Change button. Whew! They don't make that one easy to get to. Just don't completely remove your swap file, cause your system might not boot after that, unless you have a lot of physical RAM. :flowers:

7. Repeat steps 1-3.

Ideally, XP on a clean install should boot in about 12 seconds from the time that you see the XP logo to useable (can open a program). With all my device drivers and third-party utilities, the best I can acheive so far is 18 seconds on my Dell. Don't use Norton SpeedDisk!--It may slow your XP system boot time by about 6 seconds. :thumbsup:

:inlove: You can also try enabling verbose logon messages which will show you each file being loaded. If there is one particular file or a string of them taking a long time to load, then google them to see if they are viruses. :trumpet:

Another thing... Have you ever cleared things like your user cache etc.? If not then you need to get CCleaner Here. Its a rather rough cleaner going for absolutely every unneeded file. Be careful what you delete and use the built in registry backup when using this tool.

Tweaks... There are many tweaks to speed up your computer like stopping core services from paged to disk and disabling last time access stamp and networked detection (for stand-alone PC). And there are various tools that claim to speed up your PC incredibly, but XP Smoker or TweakXP are good tools. Always remember to create a System restore before doing anything with them.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone run chkdsk...or defrag the system? Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html

Anyone check Event Viewer for possible clues? What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Any actual error messages flash onscreen?

How long is a "slow" startup, how long is a "regular" startup?

Anyone check the system thoroughly for malware of all kinds?

Louis

#4 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Does anyone run chkdsk...or defrag the system? Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html

Anyone check Event Viewer for possible clues? What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Any actual error messages flash onscreen?

How long is a "slow" startup, how long is a "regular" startup?

Anyone check the system thoroughly for malware of all kinds?

Louis

Yes I defrag once a month, checked event viewer and there was nothing around the time this happened. No errors on screen. It takes about 8 minutes to fully load. I have with a bunch of programs for malware and virus's. I am going to do all of the above and re-post with results. Won't be for the next few days, wife will get angry if I am on the puter all night tonight, lmao.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

Understood, Happy New Year :flowers:!

Someone will be here to help next year :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

OK, did everything and nothing has changed. I am running Microsoft Memory Diagnostic right now and there are no errors, it has been running for 2.5 hours on standard and now on extended. I am also going to run memtest86 in a couple of hours. I had a single beep yesterday from the board and from the beep codes that means memory refresh failure possible cause bad memory. Should I just get new RAM test it and see what happens?? Or should I test another HDD first and see what happens? Thanks.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Before spending money, I always try the cheap (sometimes implausible) stuff :thumbsup:.

I would remove the memory, blow the dimms clean with compressed air, and then reseat/reinsert the memory modules, boot, and see what happens.

And I would run chkdsk /r or the equivalent: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Follow the guidelines for running it from My Computer, putting check marks in both boxes which appear.

Louis

#8 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

Before spending money, I always try the cheap (sometimes implausible) stuff :thumbsup:.

I would remove the memory, blow the dimms clean with compressed air, and then reseat/reinsert the memory modules, boot, and see what happens.

And I would run chkdsk /r or the equivalent: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Follow the guidelines for running it from My Computer, putting check marks in both boxes which appear.

Louis

I took all the memory out already and did that, I even put them back in one at a time to see the results and it was still slow almost the same with just one 512MB in then with all 1.28GB in. I will run chkdsk when the memory scans are done. I have an extra 200GB HDD I think I will load XP and some drivers after all the scans and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

When you say your CPU use is all over the place, what process(es) are using up all the CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

OK, no errors on disk or on memory scans. I was watching the processes and it seems that when system idle is using CPU it isn't freeing any up. That sounds like a problem to me. What could be the cause of that?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

If the System Idle Process is using all your CPU that is a good thing. The System Idle Process is just a count of the processing power that is not in use.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

If the System Idle Process is using all your CPU that is a good thing. The System Idle Process is just a count of the processing power that is not in use.

Ya, but the CPU stays high, it doesn't come down, the puter stays slow. If the S I P was at 50% and nothing else running then the CPU should be @ 50%, thats not the case, it stays at 100%.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

What else is using high CPU besides SIP?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 siren1234

siren1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

OK, tried another HDD and puter is fine. It is quick reads everything, what can I do?? I really don't want to load everything into the other HDD. This means that memory and board are ok, it is the HDD, right?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

Before I wrote the hard drive off, I would run a manufacturer's disk diagnostic on it. Long test.

As to whether another hard drive solves your situation, only you can tell that. If you no longer experience previous symtoms and the system is running well...that's about all one cans ask for.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users