Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

My brother wants to reformat his computer like start anew but the problem is that he doesn't know how so please help my brother? He uses a dell and its in Windows XP. The computer said something about the BIOS. What is that?

{Mod Edit: Corrected title~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 31 December 2007 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Normally you just turn off the computer and turn it back on to reboot. Is that a problem?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

You mean reformat, not reboot :thumbsup:.

In any case, Dell should have provided him (as owner) with some CDs. Depending on what these CDs are, someone here can guide him but we need to know exactly what these CDs are supposed to represent...can you post that?

And...what's wrong with the system that your brother seems to think can be cured by reformat/reinstall of XP?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

Yeah what exactly is your reason for reinstalling XP? If there isn't any problem with your PC and you don't know how to reinstall - don't try.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

To answer your question What is Bios?

BIOS (basic input/output system) is the program a personal computer's microprocessor uses to get the computer system started after you turn it on. It also manages data flow between the computer's operating system and attached devices such as the hard disk, video adapter, keyboard, mouse, and printer. From
whatis.techtarget

Without bios, your computer couldn't function.
Usually one gets to bios by tapping the delete key at the beginning of the boot up process.
Once in bios, you can make changes to certain things-like boot order-but I advise NOT changing anything else if you don't know what you're doing. You can always ask someone for guidance if you need to change something in bios.

Probably what your brother heard regarding bios is that he would have to enter bios to make the cd rom drive the first boot device if using an operating system cd.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

The EXACT error message really would be helful.
Might be another issue entirely, that a format wont help
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Sometimes people reformat very occasionally to give a performance boost. Usually you would go into the bios (turn on pc and press the setup key, usually F1, F2 or F10 and sometimes the delete button). Make sure that under the Boot Sequence, it should list from top to bottom:

Cd rom drive
Floppy Drive
Hard Drive

Then upon saving it to the BIOS configuration, reboot the computer and insert the CD that came with the pc. It should say Dell Operating System Reinstall Disk. A screen should pop up stating "To boot to CD press any key". Press any key, and follow the on screen prompts and it should start the reinstall process. Then after windows is installed, then you should have another disk that says System Drivers. Install all the drivers and you should be good to go. Now if you have a BIOS error, such as a bad Bios Flash, then that is a whole nother problem.

Gavin Seabrook

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

If your brother does a format, there are steps to take before he even begins.
EVERYTHING will be wiped out-folders, files, favorites, messages in an email client, and the email client address book. What he doesn't want to lose will need to be backed up-either to cd's, an external drive, a second hard drive if there is one on the computer, or a flash drive.

I do agree it would help if we know WHY he wants to format, and if there are any error messages he's seeing. Wouldn't do any good to format if there are other underlying issues with bios.

#9 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

Reformatting will erase everything on the computer's hard drive. Are you sure you want to do that?

I don't wish to be rude, but just to be safe, perhaps you should get help from someone who speaks your native language.

#10 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

i see a dead computer in someones future.

#11 OneDeluxe

OneDeluxe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:11 AM

download easeus partition manager must purchase to get full accses u can delete partitions & create & format ur HD.

Edited by OneDeluxe, 08 January 2008 - 04:17 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

8 days of no feedback by original poster...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users