Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Cloning Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

As I mentioned on another topic, I want to clone my old drive to my new one. However, MaxBlast software won't let me.

I think it's because the destination drive is the drive on which I installed MaxBlast. I can see how it would be hard or impossible to use they active drive as the destination.

The logical thing would be to boot from the old drive, but I can't. The new drive is a SATA drive, and the old one IDE, which means that the SATA will always be the primary drive. Any ideas?

I have another option. I can use DriveImageXML to copy the old disk to a new partition on the new disk. But in that case, this new partition will be the one I want to boot from. How would I do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

I guess that I don't know what you mean when you say you can't boot from the old drive.

Why not? BIOS boot options change, can be changed by user.

I don't think I would use MaxBlast for cloning a drive. MaxBlast is overlay software and XP has been known to have problems with such.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X...+drive+overlays

Louis

#3 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I just finished a clone project using MaxBlast 5. The clone process took 52 hrs! The only thing that didn't work was anything associated with booting up. I first tried running all the repair commands in the Recovery Console. Nothing worked. Then, I did a repair install. That did it! My clone now works very well.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

Generally speaking, I do repair installs anytime that I use a cloned copy of my systems. I've always thought it was necessary, for various reasons.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Drive cloning works, to a limited extent, depending on the hardware involved. The more similar the hardware is, the more likely it is to work. Windows has some ability to self-correct errors like this, but enough errors will make Windows throw a fit and refuse to boot.

The most commonly recommended method for this type of move is to:
1) Uninstall all devices that will change from Device Manager before the final shutdown
2) Install the hardware
3) Boot directly into a repair install of Windows and repair the installation.

Some further hints are here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

I guess that I don't know what you mean when you say you can't boot from the old drive.

Why not? BIOS boot options change, can be changed by user.

Tech Support told me that the new drive must be the boot drive if its used at all. If I boot from the old drive, I can't access the old drive.

#7 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

1) Uninstall all devices that will change from Device Manager before the final shutdown

Could you clarify this step?

How does your method this solve the problems mentioned in my original post?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

<<Tech Support told me that the new drive must be the boot drive if its used at all. If I boot from the old drive, I can't access the old drive.>>

Hmmm, I guess I thought that this group was Tech Support...

In any case, whoever told you what you think you heard...there was some mixup.

Any hard drive which is properly formatted and partitioned can be seen by a working XP O/S. XP cannot see drives which are not formatted (except in Disk Management).

So, I've lost the train of thought in this particular thread...just what are you trying to do, right now, as you see it?

What is it that you need directions (from this group) on how to do?

Louis

#9 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

What is it that you need directions (from this group) on how to do?

1. I need to make a new partition on my C: drive. Call it the D: drive.

2. I need to set the computer to boot to the D: drive instead of the C: drive.

3. I need to clone my old disk to the D: drive.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

To clone any partition/drive...to another drive/partition, you need software.

What software do you intend to use to do this? There is no way that I know of...to clone a partition without either a RAID or disk-imaging software.

As for how to use that software, instructions should be available.

You need to tell us what software you are going to use...or just follow the instructions said hardware gives for cloning a partition/drive.

There is no need to create a partition before cloning, in my experience.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users