Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Ide Hdd To Sata Computer

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 jclfc

jclfc

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

I was given the DELL Vostro 200 computer for Xmas as my old system was getting pretty old. However, I only purchased a large new HDD a couple of months ago and feel it would be a shame to lose it and it's data.

The HDD is IDE while I believe the Vostro 200 is SATA.

I purchased a convertor kit from eBay and while I have no problem in installing the HDD, I cannot seem to get any power to it and thus the computer cannot locate it.

The convertor I bought is here - http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a9/54/0d66_1.JPG

The Vostro system guide is here - http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/.../html/index.htm

Can any of you guys guide me?

Happy New Year to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

We need to know what that picture represents. Make and model of the interface. Did you connect all the power connections? You need to connect the power supply to the interface and the drive.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

It might have been easier foir you to get a PCI IDE controller card. They usually run about 12 dollars and all you have to do is plug the IDE cable into it, and a power connector to the harddrive.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

The white connector in the picture needs to be connected to your power supply and then to the board. Looks like a Floppy plug on one end and an HD plug on the other. Gavinseabrook is right though; an internal card is much easier to deal with and usually more compatible.

It seems kind of backwards to replace a SATA drive with an IDE. SATA drives are much faster than IDE. You might want to sell the IDE and purchase a new SATA. Prices on SATA drives can be very reasonable. Not the best suggestion if your pockets are empty but you would certainly get better performance.

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 01 January 2008 - 07:54 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

As previously pointed out, it would have been far simpler/better to just buy a PCI add-in IDE controller...and use that to connect any IDE drives to your system. Such controllers is the standard way of providing additional drive capability to a system that either has no more or does not provide for IDE drives to be used. The Vostro motherboard only allows SATA drives to be used, with 2 ports for same.

You don't even need a very good/high quality controller, an example is at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115009

Such a controller would allow IDE drives to be added to your system easily, the data could be moved to a SATA drive or you could just access the EIDE/PATA drive as an addon to your system. No need to transfer files unless that is desired.

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/...s.htm#wp1484228

I think power connector 7 would work on the ide hard drive

make sure the jumper is right on the drive also

I would have just stuck the drive in a usb2 external case myself

Edited by DaChew, 01 January 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I know that SATA is superioer to IDE but I do not want to lose my files.

The IDE drive in question is a Hitachi Deskstar HDT722516DLAT80 with a capacity of 164GB.

The problem is getting power to the drive.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

Power Supply DC Connector Pin Assignments

go to my link, what is P7 connected to now?

it's towards the top, picture of the power supply?

P7 should be labeled in your dell

it comes off the same leads as power to the hd sata
Chewy

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

I just realized that I have idea whether your PS has IDE connections, although I've not seen a PS without such (in my limited dealings), soooo, I must ask if your PS only has SATA connectors (since your motherboard does).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2008 - 12:23 PM.

#10 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

No, I don't think the PS does have IDE connectors. I'm just about to try DaChews suggestion to see if it will work. What should the jumpers be set too?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Well, I always use the C/S setting, unless I'm putting a drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure. The persons that make those seem to not like C/S, preferring Master/Slave.

They come from the factory these days with C/S settings.

Louis

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

just use the master jumper setting, western digital would use master no slave present

the best reference on cable select I have found

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

an idea that didn't fly, except for dell and afew others

of course we don't have this problem with sata taking over
Chewy

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Chewy, I believe that article was written more than 5 years ago...things have changed somewhat since Win 98 days when 40-wire cables were the only ones for most users.

A more recent link from the Seagate website: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

As (I believe) DC or Mark pointed out previously to me, I recognize that some older systems still may use the 40-wire IDE cables.

Louis

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I believe that article was written more than 5 years ago

read on to the bottom

Note: A special thanks to Hale Landis of www.ata-atapi.com for his assistance in deciphering the mysteries of cable select, especially with the 80-conductor cable

like I said the definitive source

back when all this ultracable started there was quite a controversy about backwards compatibility, in the ms newsgroups/hardware and a lot of misinformation

I called maxtor and finally reached an older lady who simply told me that the 80 conductor cable was required on their
ultradma drives, I was having some issues with raid controllers at the time, they disappeared

the seagate link says the same thing as my link

all my dvd burners are always standalone masters at the end of a new ultracable and none of them have ever come cableselect

benq, nec, lg, plex etc

Edited by DaChew, 01 January 2008 - 07:25 PM.

Chewy

#15 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

Update -

I've tried DaChews suggestion but it did not work so I hooked the HDD up to the old power supply and connected the SATA connection to the new MB but, again, no success.

Any more ideas guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users