Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows98 Critical Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

I still use Windows 98 and, as everybody knows, it seldom needs critical updates.
After a long time, I just connected to Windows98 update site to check if I need any critical updates and discovered that I do need one (KB891781). Since I have not done it lately, I have forgotten the correct procedure. I know if I download it, it will install automatically. But do I need to close the programs that run in the background first? For software installation, I always do that (Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then End Task) though I know some people say that is not necessary, just close the programs you can SEE running. However, to be on the safeside, I ALWAYS do that, and I have never regretted. My question is, is it necessary to do the same even for installing Windows updates/security patches? Should I, at least, temporarily disable the antivirus program and remove the screensaver? I believe in taking precautions -- better be safe than sorry.

Any advice from knowledgeable persons will be appreciated.

Edited by Shoban Sen, 28 February 2005 - 11:50 PM.

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

Shoban,
You are safe. No need to disable anything at all when doing your updates. Good question and I'm glad you asked it. I'm sure many were unsure.

~67~

#3 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:40 PM

Thank you TexasAngel67. After seeing your reply, I tried to download and install that critical update (KB891781) twice (on two different days). Each time the progress bar indicated that the download was complete. But the installation never starts. Things just stall. I waited at least 5 minutes each time before hitting the Cancel button. Then I checked my Windows update history page. It shows that this particular update Failed each time.

Any idea why it is failing?
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users