Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blank "popup"- Similar To Error Reporting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PuffTrinket

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

First, thanks for all the good information on this site. I have been reading/lurking for a few months now, off and on. I find your site unbiased and very helpful. Reading here has allowed me to avoid and solve many potential problems.

I have a problem I haven't seen described here. I'm not sure how to search it, either, because I don't even really know what to call it.

Intermittently, I will see in the bottom task bar, a blank window opens, then closes. It looks like the error-reporting one from windows, except it has no information whatsoever. It opens for about three seconds, then closes. Ordinarily, with error reporting, there is an associated popup on the desktop, and the task bar says "error reporting". With this, There is no popup on my desktop, and no words on the taskbar icon. It occcurs whether or not I am actively surfing the net. (I have satellite, so I am always connected). It comes and goes too fast for a capture- even if I knew how to do that!

I run Norton antivirus, HP updates, and windows auto updates. I keep things up to date and scann my system weekly or more often. Udates from HP agent is always running as an application in task manager. ( I don't understand why, but it's doen that for a long time with not problems ) the popu thingy occurs even if i end the HP updates application.

I can just "tell" something isn't right. I get Sgtray and CCap hangs when I shut down.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. Kept task manager open to see if a process runs when this happens- it doesn't seem to.
2. Examined all processes I see running by use of google search and your fourms.
3. Followed up to step 5 of your tutorial on viruses and worms- stinger is runnign right now.
4. Maintained my system with Norton Firewall, SpyBot, and AdAware
5. Cleaned regularly using one button checkup, system optimizer, defrag, and as many tools as I can find on my system.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,710 posts
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

Some users have reported hpcmpmgr.exe & hptskmgr.exe as an unknwon phantom process (no name) related to a flashing white icon or blue box that briefly appears in the Taskbar. The icon first appears during startup, then reappears every 15 minutes for one or two seconds and will show up one last time when the computer is shutting down. hpcmpmgr.exe is related to HP multimedia products and is used to support Photosmart, Deskjet, and All-In-One printers. It is the main process belonging to the HP Component Manager and appears to call upon hptskmgr.exe and HPOSM.exe. This program is a non-essential process to the running of the system. Disabling/unchecking hpcmpmgr.exe from the system startup list will keep the icon flash from appearing again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users