Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:11 AM
First, thanks for all the good information on this site. I have been reading/lurking for a few months now, off and on. I find your site unbiased and very helpful. Reading here has allowed me to avoid and solve many potential problems.
I have a problem I haven't seen described here. I'm not sure how to search it, either, because I don't even really know what to call it.
Intermittently, I will see in the bottom task bar, a blank window opens, then closes. It looks like the error-reporting one from windows, except it has no information whatsoever. It opens for about three seconds, then closes. Ordinarily, with error reporting, there is an associated popup on the desktop, and the task bar says "error reporting". With this, There is no popup on my desktop, and no words on the taskbar icon. It occcurs whether or not I am actively surfing the net. (I have satellite, so I am always connected). It comes and goes too fast for a capture- even if I knew how to do that!
I run Norton antivirus, HP updates, and windows auto updates. I keep things up to date and scann my system weekly or more often. Udates from HP agent is always running as an application in task manager. ( I don't understand why, but it's doen that for a long time with not problems ) the popu thingy occurs even if i end the HP updates application.
I can just "tell" something isn't right. I get Sgtray and CCap hangs when I shut down.
Here's what I have done so far:
1. Kept task manager open to see if a process runs when this happens- it doesn't seem to.
2. Examined all processes I see running by use of google search and your fourms.
3. Followed up to step 5 of your tutorial on viruses and worms- stinger is runnign right now.
4. Maintained my system with Norton Firewall, SpyBot, and AdAware
5. Cleaned regularly using one button checkup, system optimizer, defrag, and as many tools as I can find on my system.
NOTE: IT JUST DID IT AGAIN AS i WAS TYPING THIS MESSAGE! NO PROCESS RECORDED IN TASKMANAGER.
Any suggestions? Thanks.