Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

hi guys, maybe you might be able to help me....
I recently installed a new version of MSN messenger..6.2 if im not mistaken.
Messenger was already installed, seemingly as standard as part of XP ?? ..correct me if im wrong here...
Anywho.... in an effort to speed up my initial bootup, i ran msconfig, and took a load of files out of the start up option.
I also went into Messenger, and disabled the option to start up with windows, or to start up when connected to the net, so ideally it should only run when i select it, but despite this, everytime i boot up, msmsgs.exe is running in the processes of the task manager.....
Where else would i have to go to stop this starting up ??

Thanks in advance for your help
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

MSNMSGR is the .exe for the IM application, MSN Messenger.

msmsgs. exe is the WindowsMessenger utility (generally used by system administrators to advise users of system problems via a popup notice). The BC startup database here indicates this can be disabled:

Available via Start -> Programs. Go to Windows Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hi John, appreciate your info on that one.... never noticed that windows messenger and MSN messenger were independant of each other.....I was using my .NET passport through windows messenger and the similar icons etc lead me to believe they were one and the same thing....
Anyway, that aside, i still cant seem to sort the problem.....
In windows messenger, i have previously unchecked the " run when windows starts " option and also the " allow to run in the background option "
When i start up windows and log online, despite MSN messenger not running, i still show as being online to friends who have sent me messages......
Also, when the program IS open and i try to exit it, through the option on the system tray, .. i get the error message saying " there are other applications currently using features provided by Windows messenger. You must close the other applications before you can exit windows messenger. These applications may include Outlok Express, MSN Explorer and Internet explorer "
Problem is, none of these are running either.....
Im lost !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users