Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookie Problem With Hot Mail

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:56 AM

I had some help recently from bleeping regarding a problem getting into my hot mail account on live.com, whilst using my new vista with IE7.
Someone there told me to go into privacy in internet options and choose Medium on the slider - then to add the live.com to the Sites button, then go back into Advanced and select 'Overide Automatic Cookie Handling' and make sure First and Third party cookies are highlighted.
I did all that and it worked!
However following day it was the same. I do have Privacy Keeper installed which removes traces including cookies - would this be the problem. If this is disabled though, wont i be open to cookies?

Or is there another explanation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

If another application removes cookies regularly, changing your browser settings to accept certain ones will not have the results you want. You may be able to "protect" certain cookies if Privacy Keeper has such an option.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

A long time ago I had an issue with my Hotmail account and went through many different fixes before someone spotted the problem. I had blocked cookies for msn.com - and that wouldn't allow me to logon to my Hotmail account.

Ensure that any security programs that you are using (and your browser also) aren't blocking the cookies.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

I saw this just the other day with an XP system.
Did everything I found on the net to no avail
If you click the back button in your browser everything works fine from that point

I think it is Hotmail issue to be honest.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

How do i know if my security programmes (ie zone alarm free / avast free /) is blocking msn.com?

And how do i configure internet options to allow cookies for msn?

Also, how do i know if my browser is stopping msn?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

According to the site in the link below, Privacy Keeper is NOT Vista compatible.
http://www.unhsolutions.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html

It is customizable and you can simply uncheck the cookie removal feature. That will allow ALL cookies.
You may also be able to select the cookies not to delete just as in Ccleaner which works pretty much the same.

In IE7 you can block the advertising (third party cookies) from installing. See simple instructions in link below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...cookies-in-ie7/

Since it appears Privacy Keeper is not yet Vista compatible, I would stop it from running at startup until it is or remove it.
I think blocking the third party cookies and stop using Privacy Keeper will likely solve your problem with Hotmail.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks, i will remove privacy keeper and block third party cookies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users