Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Router Assistance Asap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Wolfe

Paul Wolfe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

Okay, my wife is going to begin working from home in the next week. Her company has provided her with a computer, phone and router so she can connect with the office. Their only requirements are that she have Comcast highspeed internet and she must use their router exclusively.

Now, I've got a wireless home network setup and all is working fine. In order to do things according to her company, I must send the signal from my cable modem to her router and not use my wireless router at all.

What I need to know is if there is a splitter available to split the signal coming out of the cable modem and send one signal to her work router and one to my wireless router?

It seems like such a thing should exist, but I am not certain about where to get such a thing.

Would this be the thing I am needing?

Any help would be appreciated as shee need to be able to set everything up by Thursday and assure her boss that t's all working (and yes, she only informed me of this situation tonight).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:30 AM

from my point of view. you should connect the modem into the router and connect all other computers in LAN port of the router, or by using a HUB/Switch connected to the router so other computers will share internet. int he router settings, DHCP should be enabled.

#3 Paul Wolfe

Paul Wolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Well, the thing is, I have the wireless router because 2 of my 3 home computers are laptops... I can't really connect the modem to the wife's work router and then piggyback the wireless, because that's forbidden and her job is more important than getting online.

That's why I need to know if there is a way to split the signal from the router so I can have to completely separate networks running.

I appreciate your suggestion, I just don't understand how it would work and not violate the rules I've been given. As explained to me, the two networks MUST be separate so that the only way to access the work data would be to log on to the work computer.

Does that make sense?

#4 Paul Wolfe

Paul Wolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

jase07 is this what you meant?

Posted Image

Would the work computer be separate and not accessible wirelessly?

#5 Paul Wolfe

Paul Wolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

Okay, I called a computer shop near here and was told that I need a 3rd router. I connect the modem to this router and then connect the other two routers (wireless and wife's work) into this router which would allow both networks to share the same internet connection.

I've gotten the 3rd router but am not sure how to set things up.

Do I need to install the software for the 3rd router on all the computers? I am a complete newbie as far as this stuff goes. I'm at the point of being completely lost...

Please help!

Edited by Paul Wolfe, 03 January 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#6 Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

• Malware Response Team
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Paul,
I'm not sure why the computer shop told you that you would need a third router, that seems sort of odd to me. In any case, all you should have to do is take the router from your wife's work (we'll call it RouterA) and plug it directly up to the cable modem. Hook her laptop directly up to that router. Now, take your router (RouterB) and run a ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on RouterA and plug it into the WAN port on RouterB. Now, unless there are some sort of security configuration on RouterA, this should work and you should not notice any issues.

I hope this makes sense and helps you.

#7 Paul Wolfe

Paul Wolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

Thank you, that does make sense...

Unfortunately I did not see your post in time and paid a tech to come set everything up for me. He connected the modem to the 3rd router and the other two routers to that one. Then he changed the IP addresses and everything is up an running.

Had the guy who told me over the phone simply said, "Hook them up and change the IP addresses," it'd have saved me a couple hundred bucks... but the wife is pleased now and her stress level ("We need to get this done!") is way down, so it's all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users