Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning Html And Python Simultaneously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

I am completely new to Programming and wanted to start learning a new language. After a little bit of research on which languages to start with I have settled with Python. I have already installed the program and read some basic stuff and intros and managed to follow very basic codes but nothing serious. Many of the online tutorials have confused me! I now want to buy a book called 'Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional', which has some interesting reviews. The problem is that I also want to learn HTML. I am already following an online tutorial in my beginner-lower intermediate stage. I want to learn more and create better webpages! But I am wondering if I can learn both Python and HTML at the same time or whether I should 'finish' one and start the other after I get to a respectable stage in the first one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

Greetings fellow aspiring programmer!

HTML is possibly one of the easiest of all computer languages to learn! It's just a matter of knuckling down with a good tutorial, a book, and some people to help you out.

As far as HTML books are concerned, I highly recommend HTML In An Instant as an excellent "get your feet wet" book for HTML plus an introduction into javascript.

In addition to the book, I like the tutorials at http://www.pageresource.com and the accompanying forum.

As for Python... I've never used it so I can't really say much about it. I prefer BASIC derivative languages like REALbasic and Visual Basic for my programming needs.

As to whether you should learn one at a time or double up, it's really up to you. I would recommend, however, starting with HTML and adding other languages if you feel that you can handle it.

while effort > 0 do
learn();
wend

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thanks AA for the reply. I'll check the tutorial link and more reviews for your recommended book. I can see amazon has 'Search Inside' for the book. I happen to follow the tutorial for HTML at http://www.htmldog.com/. Have a look and let me know what you make of it.

I initially thought of starting Visual Basic but an article I read on the Internet (the one that recommended Python for the beginner) said that VB would make one tied to Microsoft! because of how the language works. I didn't really understand what he/she meant! Maybe you'll understand.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

That HTMLdog place looks pretty good! I'd still recommend Pageresource, however, because of their excellent HTML/CSS help forum (nothing against BC's HTML help forum, it's just that Pageresource's forum is dedicated entirely to HTML, CSS, javascript, and other web languages while BC is more general. Hence you'll find more specialized experts there, IMHO.)

Learning Visual Basic would indeed lock you into Microsoft as it is produced by Microsoft and can only create applications for Windows. That's is why I use REALbasic almost exclusively. Its professional edition can compile the same app for Windows, MacOS, and most flavors of Linux! (sadly it's rather pricey too.)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 31 December 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#5 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi again!

Just wanted to let you know that I have defected from that HTMLdog site to pageresource for my Online HTML Tutorial! I have found the latter much easier and logical to follow. I even liked the explanations and examples. I have managed to finish the Beginner, 'Getting Started' stage, which I found excellent! So thanks for the recommendation.

I am now considering buying the book you recommended (HTML In An Instant), or should I finish the Online Tutorials first and then buy the book later? Does the book contain much more content than the site? Or will it return me to the 'beginner stage' because I want to move on!

Anyhow, thank you and looking forward to any ideas you may have...

Edited by Juha, 18 January 2008 - 01:04 PM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

The book covers pretty much the same stuff as the site does, if I recall correctly, but usually in greater detail. As such, they complement each other quite well. But I wouldn't say that either one will teach you something that the other can't. That said, given a choice of only having one I would choose the website if only for the user forum.

#7 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the response. I'll stick to the Online tutorials and forum for a bit...

#8 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

Surprised no one mentioned my all time fav' for web design programming languages! www.w3schools.com. That site has been a god send to me, very good tutorials which let you edit code and see results instantly.

Dan

#9 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for pointing out the site. I have browsed for a few minutes and looks good. I'll check it some time later...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users