Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Second Hard Drive Disappeared.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uponthestair

uponthestair

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

When I bought my current computer it came with a 120 GB hard drive. I took the prior computer's smaller hard drive and had it installed as a second drive in case I needed extra capacity some day.

Drive A - Floppy
Drive C - 120 GB hard drive that came with the computer
CD-RW Drive - Drive D
DVD Drive - Drive E
Drive F - was the second hard drive.

Well, I've never used Drive F and haven't paid any attention to it until tonite when I thought about moving some files into it.

Couldn't find it on My Computer or Windows Explorer. Both list just the other drives.

Ran Belarc Advisor - shows the 120 GB hard drive but not the smaller one.

Device Manager shows only the 120 GB hard drive.

I remember Defrag showing Drive F a while ago but it doesn't show it now.

I can't imagine when or how it disappeared.

My CPU has sat in one place since I bought it so it hasn't gotten banged around and I haven't installed any aftermarket hardware.

My system: Microsoft XP Home Edition Verson 2002 Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 CPU 2 GHz, 512 MB RAM.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

Are these both IDE hdds? How do you have the second hdd connected, how is the jumper set? Is the BIOS set to recognize the second hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 uponthestair

uponthestair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

They are both IDE.

All of that other stuff had to have been set up properly because I had Drive F for a long time and now I don't.

I'll check the cable connection tomorrow.

I was looking for ideas as to other possibilities of what might have gone wrong.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users