Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Myxomorph

Myxomorph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

I noticed my free hard drive space slowly going down. A defrag program kindly told me the name and location of the files. I checked in on them a few times and noticed that they were growing! After a while, they went away, but came back again. I have never done anything to create or delete any of these files, and with so much memory being filled and emptied, i suspect that it's causing some fragmentation problems. I'm worried that when i need the memory it will be taken or unavailable to these files that might need it.

Microsoft didn't help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

Hi, System Volume Information folder is used to save system restore points. If you are starting to run out of room you can deleate system restore points to your last restore point. If you do deleate the saved restore points the only restore point left will be the last restore point created. So if you would like to deleate the restore points and you feel comfortable with only having the latest restore point go to>accessories>system tools>disk clean up>you will then have two tabs, clean up and more options. Under more options >system restore clean up and follow the prompts.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Myxomorph

Myxomorph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

Thanks, you helped me free up a lot of space.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:50 AM

hi,, on vista system restor is allocated way too much HDD space, it was roughly 1/3 on my 360gig on my pc & about the same on my daughters which is 250gig,,,,, i really dont see why this, if you only have say about 80-100 gig HDD then its a bit much to lose & how many restor points do you need??? I found a way to set the allocation to what you want & retreve some space back,,,, i set both machines to 20gig which is plenty,,,,, take a look at this link

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduc...em-restore.html

good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users