Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Capital S Failure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 trekrichl

trekrichl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

The Shift s, i.e. capital S, does not work on my keyboard.
I can only type a capital S by first hitting CAP LOCK, then must undo the CAP LOCK for other key entries. This affects only the S key, others work fine. There is no special mapping on my keyboard, just the defaults.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400, 768K RAM, running Windows XP Home with SP2 installed. I have a standard Dell brand 101/102 key PS2 keyboard. I have fully updated Windows Updates, Norton Antivirus and SpySweeper and run scans weekly.
I am new to the forum but have searched out topics, questions and answers and cannot locate this problem although I have tried different suggestions from previous answers to others questions related to keyboards.

Here is what I have tried so far:
Swapping in another keyboard. A Gateway standard keyboard has exactly the same response: all keys work fine except Shift S.
Checked regional settings, all Eastern US. Checked keyboard mapping, all defaults checked. These ideas from the forums.
Uninstalled keyboard driver, rebooted, computer finds new keyboard and installs driver. Rebooted, same result (this idea from this forum).
Ran HiJackThis log and submitted to Help2Go. It suggested deleting several items identified as malicious, deleting the folder MyWebSearch, rebooting, then emptying recycle bin and rebooting again. Also got this idea from the forum. Same result.

A possible clue: I rebooted in Safe Mode and the keyboard works fine, no capital S problem. Rebooting back into normal Windows and the problem is back. I conclude, hopefully correctly, that my PS2 port on the back of the computer works fine since the keyboard works OK in Safe Mode.
Could this be something in the Registry? I am not experienced in Registry examination and tweaking and am reluctant to try without more expert guidance.

Thank you for any replies and guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

I'm just guessing here, but I'd suspect (after all the troubleshooting that you've done already) that it's either a driver issue or a corruption issue.

For the driver issue, I'd suspect the motherboard/chipset drivers and/or the keyboard drivers. Uninstalling the device and letting Windows reinstall it will just allow the old drivers to reinstall themselves.

Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. Uninstall the keyboard in Device Manager and don't let Windows redetect it on reboot. Then install the downloaded drivers and reboot to see if that fixes the issue. Do the same thing with the motherboard/chipset drivers if the new keyboard driver didn't fix it.

If this doesn't work, post back and we can suggest some other fixes to try.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Welcome and Happy New Year!

You have ruled out the keyboards
Does it do the same thing with both the left & right shift keys?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 trekrichl

trekrichl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Yes, the same result occurs with either the left or right Shift key and only wiith the letter S.

I appreciate the replies.

I downloaded and installed a new keyboard driver from Microsoft after first uninstalling the original driver. I uninstalled without rebooting, because that automatically reinstalls the same driver. I installed the new driver and then rebooted. Dell doesn't have a keyboard driver on their webite; Only the Microsoft Intellipro Driver could be found. That didn't work; I still have the same problem.

After the keyboard driver did not work, I also downloaded from Dell the chipset driver and installed it. That didn't work either, I still have the same problem after rebooting following the installation.

I could not find a motherboard driver on the Dell Support site - is this the same as the chipset driver? They do have a BIOS driver and a Diagnostics Utility. Dell doesn't have a Firmware or Utilities driver on their support site.

I don't know how to identify my current motherboard driver in Device Manager.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Edited by trekrichl, 01 January 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Maybe the keyboard port could be faulty?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

This is indeed a puzzler!

Only the capital S. Mutiple keyboards work fine on other systems. But both do the same on this system, right?
Works fine in safe mode.

Has to be something running in the background!

Just for the heck of it, try uninstalling all Norton products.
Google it and use the Norton removal tool. Dont just go through add/remove programs.
Run the removal tool

I have seen Norton products mess with a lot of stuff.

Why just the capital S? That doesnt make any sense!
Has to be a logical reason for it though

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

Eyesee, I totally concur with you about Norton. 2 years ago, I noticed a very strange noise on my computer. I called it a machine gun noise because that's what it sounded like. For almost 3 months I did everything I could think of, everything others suggested, but couldn't get rid of the noise.
One day an error from Norton appeared, telling me that I needed to uninstall and then reinstall.
Which I did, the noise continued. A few days later, again the same error from Norton. By that time, I had decided to ditch Norton. Uninstalled it, installed AVG and noticed the machine gun had stopped. An accidental discovery of the solution. The only thing I can think of was a update to Norton messed something up. So it's entirely possible that could be the case here. If it is a Norton issue, there won't be a logical reason for it.
trekrichl-at this point I'm betting you are willing to try just about anything in order to resolve the issue. Uninstalling Norton is worth a try. Just don't do any downloading or opening of email attachments until 1) you rule out Norton and reinstall it 2) OR until after you install another antivirus program.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

Thank you Queen evie
It cartainly is worth a try isnt it?
Has to be something running in the background!

Make sure you run the Norton Removal tool!!!
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Motherboard and chipset drivers are essentially the same for our purposes here. So you'll be fine with the chipset driver.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 trekrichl

trekrichl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

I attempted to use the Norton Removal Tool but it stopped working part way through, twice, on the same file.
Prior to those attempts, the tool instructed me to manually delete ACT and Norton SystemWorks, which I did.

When I couldn't finish using the Removal Tool, I turned off Norton Antivirus manually. For a few minutes, my capital S worked properly, even when I turned Norton Antiviurs back on. But then the problem with capital S reoccured again.

I am going to try to uninstall Norton using the Windowns Control Panel uninstall and see what happens then.

A side effect is that I can't successfully reinstall ACT, even from the original disks. I have installed many times on different machines without difficulty. This time the reinstall looks correct but now says a file failed to correctly load when trying to start up ACT.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

Norton disabled and the issue resolved itself temporarily. Could be you are on the right track with Norton being a possible cause.
If removal of Norton isn't successful:
Have you tried uninstalling in safe mode? Download the Norton removal tool, save it to your computer, boot into safe mode. You should always run the removal tool after an uninstall of Norton using Add Remove Programs. Norton is notorious for leaving traces of itself behind.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 January 2008 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users