Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows Update Detect Missing Files ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

I am trying to locate some possible driver or file problems and came across, what maybe an interesting question.

I found that I have a lot of left over files sitting in local disk C:, after I have un-installed an Iomega Zip program,

I decided to delete these and was stopped by a message that some of the files may be used by other programs.

If in the case in such cases deletions like this occur, and files, drivers, etc are missing. . . Does the Windows updating service detect this ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Nope. Windows Updates only provides files created for glitches, bugs, and security updates. I'm afraid it's not as personalized as it would appear to be.

It's dangerous to delete files from the root (C:) and Windows directories if you don't know exactly what you're doing. I've got a bookmark for a site that tells you what lots of files do. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. Generally speaking, unless the files are humongous or seem to be interfering with your OS or other applications, I'd suggest you not spend a lot of time working on deleting them.

Heheheh ... I'm beginning to think that you're an overtweaker, like me! :thumbsup: At least you have the sense to ask about something before you do it, unlike me.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

You can update drivers from the Windows update website, though it's recommended to get them from the mfg's site. Sometimes you can't find one and when all else fails, what the heck. Certain programs install themselves in many places and totally deleting them can cause damage. That's why it's recommended to close all programs when doing so. Even better is to do it in safemode where there are only the minimum drivers and devices operating. You can also try Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools and select Disk Cleanup and see if that helps
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Dialer I'll try to comment later.

Garmanma,
It seems that you are saying that if all other programs are closed, and I am in the safe mode that I can delete files that are left over from an uninstalled program, even thoug they may be pertinent to other program dependencies without danger ?

Edited by Jove, 30 December 2007 - 10:44 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

No need to comment on my reply, Jove. Unfortunately, either I couldn't find the bookmark I was looking for, or I was mistaken about it in the first place. Sorry. :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

The message you receive is a generic one generated when you delete files that are embedded in the Windows system. It's better that they be left alone. Some are OK to delete, but it's the same as playing around with registry entries. That is, research what you want to remove before doing so and remember what you did if you need to repair something
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 December 2007 - 11:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users