Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Time Is Not Set Right On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 eggy1004

eggy1004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

i do have it set correctly for pacific time us and canada.

i have to do this everytime i restart the comp. it comes back 3 hours.

so right now it says 5:06 when it's 8:06

i also have the 'automatically synchornize with an internet time server' checked

i had a previous thread and one of the helpers told me to check something with the time, but since my time is whacked i need help with fixing this problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

You may need to change the battery

How to Change the Battery in a Computer

Edited by boopme, 30 December 2007 - 08:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Do you use a router?
Does the router know to set it to the correct zone, the same you're telling Windows to do?

I assume that when you right click the time on the task bar, you get to the Time adjustment dialog where you've set the Zone. Did you also set the time at least once? Try to add time.nist-a.gov to the servers there and click Update now.

Hope something here helps :thumbsup:

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

i also have the 'automatically synchornize with an internet time server' checked

I had that set too, but it turned out the server I had chosen was broken or no longer on line. No wonder my clock went wacko! :thumbsup:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

There is also this Tip: Fix Windows Time Service, For Those of Us For Whom It Fails

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Ahhh, thanks Animal. I cringed, at first, when I saw the registry edit, but then I followed Andrew's link and will check that one out. Oddly enough, my clock always seems to run fast. :thumbsup:

#7 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

hmm so many different methods... scared if one of you are right... don't want to be spending money on just fixing the clock-_- hope animals is right..><

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Ahhh, thanks Animal. I cringed, at first, when I saw the registry edit, but then I followed Andrew's link and will check that one out. Oddly enough, my clock always seems to run fast. :flowers:

Andrew has a lot more confidence/knowledge to play with a registry. I don't!!! So thats why I purposely didn't point out any one particular method in that thread. Let the users decide for themselves. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

okay.. i edited the regedit, in animal's post... i had set it to the time now couple of minutes ago and then it went back to the wachked time..=[
so is that a bad sign? does that mean i have to replace my batteries???=[

#10 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

i also tried setting it on other time zones, and those times seem to be right....

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

I don't know, eggy; all I can do is wish you luck.

I tried the download of Dimension 4, but I kept getting timeouts on its attempts to reach any of the servers. It seems I'll just have to be content to have my clock run a little fast. All the other clocks in my house are fast, so why not this one, too? :thumbsup:

#12 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

dialer...
so nothing worked for you too?

uh...i guess ill just have to deal with having it 3hours early...

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

Incorrect time can cause a multitude of problems on a PC.

I'd suggest replacing the CMOS battery on the chance that it's dead/dying (you can get them fairly cheaply at WalMart)
Then I'd check the settings in your BIOS to make sure that the time is correct there.
Windows has some limited ability to interact with some BIOS's - so I'd suggest shutting down before you go to bed, then reboot into the BIOS to check the time, then shutdown without going into Windows. In the morning, when you first logon, check the time in the BIOS. If it's still OK, then it's likely that the problem is within Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

FWIW: The cost of a CMOS battery is less than $5, available at any store. CR2032 is the model number for every computer I've ever looked at.

Louis

#15 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

oh... i thought the cost of batteries min would be like 50$...

um.. but does the time frame of the battery matter? i mean i onyl had this laptop for about a year?

would it be dead/dying in such a short time period?

i don't really do much with this. just downloading couple of music,movies and watching. not much gaming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users