Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Not All There?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlckDragn

BlckDragn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

First time ever posting on this site but i figured id ask some ppl that talk about this kind of stuff alot.

I just built my own computer for once but i cant figure out why only 127Gigs of my 500Gig show up. I DLed SP2 and still it doesnt change...also my USB doesnt read 2.0 when they are, and it wont let me install my drivers cause it tells me that SP2 should do it for me. Any sugestions plz? im quickly running out of space...i have about 130gigs of imfo going on this computer and 127 wont cut it right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Is the entire drive formatted? Which file system, NTFS or FAT32?

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

I DLed SP2 and still it doesnt change...

If a partition has been created using XP prior to SP1 (ie original XP release), 127GB is the maximum size it could be. Installing SP2 will not change the size of the existing partition, but look in Drive Management and see if the rest of the drive now appears as unallocated space. If it does, you can create another partition to use the remainder of the drive, or expand the 127G partition to fill the drive using third part software such as Partition Magic.

If the drive still appears to be only 127GB, (ie the POST equipment report doesn't show the full size and there's no unallocated space in Drive Management), the board may need a BIOS update to implement 48-bit LBA. Hamluis' request for the board or system model number will relate to both this and the USB2 issue regarding the appropriate chipset drivers.

Edited by Platypus, 30 December 2007 - 08:21 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 BlckDragn

BlckDragn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

I DLed SP2 and still it doesnt change...

If a partition has been created using XP prior to SP1 (ie original XP release), 127GB is the maximum size it could be. Installing SP2 will not change the size of the existing partition, but look in Drive Management and see if the rest of the drive now appears as unallocated space. If it does, you can create another partition to use the remainder of the drive, or expand the 127G partition to fill the drive using third part software such as Partition Magic.

If the drive still appears to be only 127GB, (ie the POST equipment report doesn't show the full size and there's no unallocated space in Drive Management), the board may need a BIOS update to implement 48-bit LBA. Hamluis' request for the board or system model number will relate to both this and the USB2 issue regarding the appropriate chipset drivers.

Thanks a ton! i found the extra 337gigs this way!

Just one more question about it. If i wanted to make the primary partition the whole thing do i have to make the other half of the drive an extended partition first? or can i just merge it with the rest of the drive right off the bat. and how do i do it? i did it once on my moms old computer when she had two 15gig partitions but i cant remember how...

Also do you have any idea why the USB's arnt working as 2.0?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

WinXP itself isn't able to expand a partition if it's the system partition, so you'd need to use third-party partition management software. I prefer to have more than one partition myself anyway, it makes some maintenance tasks like defragmenting simpler.

The USB2 issue usually means the motherboard chipset drivers haven't been installed.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users