Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Sonic Via Disk Clean Up/windows Components Clean Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dreww

dreww

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

I managed to accidentally uninstall "Sonic DVD and CD Burning". (from Add/Remove Windows
Components). When I try to reinstall it, I am told that "The file 'AuthorScript.dll' on
Windows XP Professional CD2 is needed.". Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. Copy files from: c:\windows \cmpnents\mediactr\i386. I click OK and nothing happens.

I also uninstalled Windows Digital Media Enhancements. When I try to reinstall it, I am told "'The file wpgldfsh.scr' on
Windows XP Professional CD2 is needed.". Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. Copy files from: c:\windows\cmpnents\mediactr\i386. I click OK and nothing happens.

Please help me resolve these issues and reinstall these items.

I can't find a folder for c:\windows\cmpnents

Edited by dreww, 30 December 2007 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

I suggest running sfc /scannow to verify that all system files are intact, LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

there is no cd2 for windows xp professional

sonic is not a part of windows components, thank goodness

but what you are describing is part of an oem media center mess, what is your computer? HP dell gateway?

Follow their directions for reinstalling components
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 dreww

dreww
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

I have an HP Compaq SR1950NX. I uninstalled and reinstalled Sonic per the HP instructions but I still can not add it via Add/Remove Windows
Components. The only CDS' I have are the system recovery cds' 1 & 2 and the Recovery Tools CD that I created after I got the computer.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:44 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...228&lang=en

sonic is not a windows component

do you mean add/remove programs instead?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 dreww

dreww
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Nope, I do not mean add/remove programs. I guess maybe it is a windows component. I found the problem last night, it was just late and I wanted to go to bed. So here was the solution, very easy actually, just took me a while to find it. c:\windows \cmpnents\mediactr\i386 is the wrong path, not sure why it was trying to go this path. Here is the correct path for these files C:\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR\I386. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Happy New Year,
Drew

Edited by dreww, 31 December 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#7 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

worked like a charm - you are the bomb!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users