Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Goes "boop", System Hangs.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Armadillo

Armadillo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

I an running Vista HP on a 3 year old Dell. I have 2 gb memory, 3.4 ghz P4HT, a 80 gb Seagate HD SATA100 (or 150?), and a 300 gb seagate HD SATA300. The 300 gb is jumper limited to SATA150 interface. The 300gb has always been a little squirrely but it functions.

Sometimes one of the drives (I dont know which one) makes a soft "boop" (not a beep) sound and if I am doing anything the system will hang for a few seconds.
The swap file ("virtual memory") is set to system managed for both drives. Both drives work and seem to be error free.
The issue mostly occurs after using Photoshop or any other memory intensive application.

In the device manager I have two entrys for ATA channel 0.
First ATA channel 0 has one disk, the 80 gb.
Second ATA channel 0 has two ATAPI cdroms.
ATA channel 1 has my other disk, the 300 gb.

Are there supposed to be two ATA channel 0, with three devices total?

Any other ideas for my booping computer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'm wondering if you can run that system with only the primary drive and whether it still makes this sound?

That might help determine which drive is making the "boop".

Oh, no matter which drive it is, I doubt that a "boop", "blap", or "bop" sound is a good thing.

Edited by JohnWho, 30 December 2007 - 09:19 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Armadillo

Armadillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

Thanks John.
I can try that.
I'm really wondering if it could be a conflict on ATA Channel 0. There are 2 cd drives and one hard drive on that channel. Everything seems to work though.
Earlier I opened the case and reseated the cable, and changed the power connection to another line.
So far no boop today.

And I forgot to mention, earlier in the week I got a black screen when the computer started asking me to select an operating system.
I selected the only one listed, Vista, and it started fine.
My OS is on the 80 gig, and that is the one on ATA channel 0.

Edited by Armadillo, 31 December 2007 - 02:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users