Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you add a hard drive to Win98

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

It has been forever and a day since I have worked with Win98, but I am having to now.

I have two drives connected to one ribbon in this computer, one master & one slave. During boot up the drive detection lists the drives as such, one master & one slave, and they are both shown as such in the Bios.

Once I have booted up and accessed 'My Computer' all I( see is the main drive. How do I add the other drive? I know how to do this in Win2000, but not Win98.

One other piece of info, these are FAT32 formatted, if that matters.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Jim
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

Did you fdisk the second drive and set the partition as active? You will need to format again if you do. What type of drive is this. The manufacturers website will have software to set it up.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:22 PM

No, I did not fdisk. I am trying to access this disk to salvage data off of it.

In fact this disk was already part of this setup. I ran into a problem during boot up, something about a Windows Protection Error. For a time I was not able to get past this error, then all of a sudden, I was able to get back into Win98, but this disk is gone. I need to find a way to access this drive to back up data that is needed.

Can I access this disk (FAT32) from a Win2000 or XP formatted hard drive? I could stick it on a machine with one of those OS's on it.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:34 PM

So if I'm following this then this drive was operating in the computer, you had the protection error and now you can't see the files.

What does Device Manager say about the Hard disk controllers?

Can you restore the registry to a date before this happened?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

hey os_challenged. Yes, if you hooke this drive up to a machine running w2k or XP those os's can access a fat32 drive. I'm not sure what happened but this is what I read:

This drive was in the win98 machine and went bad. Was it the boot drive or was it always a slave drive? Does it show up in the bios and/or in Device Manger.

You can put it in a w2k or xp machine as a slave and you wll be able to read it if the drive is readable. Otherwise if the data is important you might need to get some recovery tools.

Let us know what happens.

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

I'll have to get this info to you tomorrow. This computer is at work right now, and it's time to go home. My ride is waiting. Please check back tomorrow.

#7 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

So if I'm following this then this drive was operating in the computer, you had the protection error and now you can't see the files.

Can you restore the registry to a date before this happened?

That's the basic jist of it...

To make sure I cover everything, I'm going to try to be as detailed as I can.

In Device Manager I see the following:

Disk Drives:

Generic IDE Disk type01
Generic IDE Disk type02
Generic NEC Floppy Disk

Hard Disk Controllers:

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

If you want the properties of any of this, just let me know. I thought about just adding it, but in the end I think it would be more then you are looking for.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

#8 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

hey os_challenged. Yes, if you hooke this drive up to a machine running w2k or XP those os's can access a fat32 drive. I'm not sure what happened but this is what I read:

This drive was in the win98 machine and went bad. Was it the boot drive or was it always a slave drive? Does it show up in the bios and/or in Device Manger.

You can put it in a w2k or xp machine as a slave and you wll be able to read it if the drive is readable. Otherwise if the data is important you might need to get some recovery tools.

Let us know what happens.

OT :thumbsup:

The boot drive was the problem child, but then all of a sudden I could boot up normal. I didn't DO anything, not really.

Once I was able to bootup, I could no longer see the secondary drive.

You can see what the Device Manager is showing in the above post.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

That looks fine as long as there are no yellow question marks. Try a system restore or try the drive in another computer. If you do the system restore and get the protection error again then the drive has most likely failed.

What kind of drive is this? Belarc Advisor will tell you.

Edited by Leurgy, 01 March 2005 - 04:48 PM.

#10 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

Ok. So Device Mangager is seeing both drives. And you say both drives show up in the bios.

If you boot to DOS can you access the slave drive? Also, if you go into Device Manager and right-click on the slave drive and then choose Properties and go to the Settings tab, what does it say the assigned drive letter is?

Interesting......

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#11 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

That looks fine as long as there are no yellow question marks. Try a system restore or try the drive in another computer. If you do the system restore and get the protection error again then the drive has most likely failed.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know how to do a system restore, meaning if you mean some option available in Win98. If you'r taking about restoring a backup, no can do, one does not exist. Yeah, my bad, but there hasn't been time.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:42 PM

Complete instructions.

Scan Reg and Windows 98

#13 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:25 PM

Thank you Leurgy...

#14 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

Belarc Advisor doesn't list the drive.

This is pretty cool piece of software, does it work on other Window OS's?

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

This is pretty cool piece of software, does it work on other Window OS's?

Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003.
Browsers: Requires IE 3 or Netscape 3, and higher versions. Also runs on Opera, Mozilla, and Firebird.

Yeah I like Belarc. There is another one called EVEREST Home Edition that gives a more detailed report right down to motherboard and CPU temps. Maybe try that for the name of the drive.

I'm sure its in that Belarc report though. Look on the left hand side under Drives. it lists mine.

Did you try scanreg?

I'd do a scanreg /fix at the dos prompt in the link. Then I would do a scanreg /restore if /fix doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users