Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should We Upgrade Routers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jb1468

jb1468

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

i have a netgear combined router/modem and i notice that updates are available and multiple updates are available for all models......should i work on the principle of if it aint broke dont fix it....or should i update when updates are available?.....interested in your thoughts/experiences as had different views expressed already!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

Personally, I would leave it alone if you aren't having any problems.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:11 AM

I agree with Crizz44, as long as you are happy with the way it is running I wouldn't bother. Most updates are to fix problems some users may run into.
MCP
MSDST

#4 jb1468

jb1468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

thanks, im tempted to agree with you and at the moment that will be the course i will take. there appears to be such a divide in opinion in this

#5 JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

A very simple rule of thumb:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
-JtB

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Flashing the chipset in a router is the same as flashing a BIOS. Do it wrong and you have a brick. If you have certain issues that will be fixed by the update, go ahead, but if you're doing it just for the sake of doing it, I wouldn't bother
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users