Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zalman Fan Controller

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Basically I have a Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller (which I like a lot, and would recommend), and I want to hook a fan or two up to the bare wire plugs (like a car audio system). Thing is, I would like to hook up a pci fan to the switch, and the pci only uses molex. Any ideas about how to go about doing this?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

What color wires are in the molex connector? If they are just red, black and yellow you could just cut the plug off. Make sure the fan does not exceed the power limits of the controller.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hmmm, I can't really get a clear view at the plug itself (I did a pretty intense job of cable management and I can't get to the plug), but it seems that only a red and black come out of the fan. I didn't remember that as being the case, I hadn't looked at this in a while. Then, next question. I'll take off the molex head, but I'll need some extra cable length. . .I'm ok just cutting out some cable from random parts I have lying around correct? I would assume it would be the same gauge, and I'll keep it the same color for convenience.

Edit: Here's the connector, courtesy of newegg:
Posted Image
Also, seems like it's a 12v fan, that'll do fine with my 12/5/off switch.

Edited by T, 30 December 2007 - 04:43 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Should be ok. Be sure to use good quality connectors to join the wires. If you are soldering them use heat shrink tubing or 3M brand electrical tape. Other brands stiffen with age and loose their stickiness (7+ years in the car audio industry). Red is + and black is -.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll do it tonight.

Posted Image

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:53 PM

The molex connector has two black wires which are both - negative, the yellow wire is +12VDC, the red wire is +5VDC. You want the +12V and one of the negative black wires. I would just cut the yellow and black wire from the molex connector and leave the other two connected to the connector with tape or heat shrink over the cut wire. You can use solder or crimp connectors to splice you wires, black to black, yellow to red. Use a similar gauge wire if you are going to extend the length.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Did it and everything works great. Thanks for the help!

Case closed.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users