Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would Installing Vista Lag This Computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paing Myint

Paing Myint

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi people. I'm currently using the following system and was wondering if an upgrade to Vista would show a big difference compared to XP especially with regrads to gaming? I was thinking of upgrading because i want to experience games with DirectX 10. I have been playing games such as Crysis and COH which are DX10 games on XP. I would like to know if there would be a considerable difference in gameplay with my system:

Core2Duo e4500 OC to 3.0Ghz from 2.2GHz
XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty
3gb DDR2 (2 at 800 and 1 at 667MHz)
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard

I would also like to know if have ram of different speeds, such as i do, is a good thing and which would be better, 2gb at 800 or the above specification.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

There have been reports of reduced gameplay performance with Vista. Most believe that it is related to drivers and not the OS. On multi-core systems, Vista is better able to use the cores more efficiently than XP. Crysis doesn't play well on systems that are more powerful than yours, add in DX10 and the performance drops further. Unless you're willing to lower the graphics quality in Crysis (which defeats the purpose of DX10) or are going to get a quad-core system with an 8800GTX you're not going to be enjoying the beautiful graphics. I don't know too much about RAM speeds, but I think that if you have memory of two different speeds, the speed will drop on all RAM sticks to whichever is the slowest.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

I played Crysis on my Vista Ultimate(x86) system with 4 gB of RAM and wasn't impressed by it's performance (despite the performance tweaks on my system). DirectX 10 may be the ultimate in DX - but (IMO) it still has a ways to go. I'd suggest holding off on the Vista upgrade for a while - until the hardware manufacturer's have had a chance to play catch up with the drivers. Eventually you'll have to have it for the latest games - but waiting will let the prices drop some before you're forced to purchase it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

hi ,,, if you have mixed speeds of RAM like you have,, all skicks of RAM will revert to the speed of the slowest stick, so in your case your 800 will be running at 667MHz,,,, also as stated above Vista love's a core2duo processor, it runs alot better with one than without, i got vista on a core2duo E6320 1866MHz 2GIG DDR2 & also tryed it on my Pentium 4HT 3.4MHz 2GIG DDR2,,,,, even though the core2 is smaller its a vast improvement with vista,,, so i reinstalled XP in the Pentium4 machine. hope this helps.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users