Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Windows From Other Drive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

The Windows XP installation on my drive has been corrupted somehow. When I booted, the screen would freeze after the Dell logo disappeared but before the Windows logo would appear. I tried booting from the Windows XP disk. I got a message "INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 47872. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

For this and other reasons I bought a new hard drive - my new C drive - and installed XP. It works fine. I kept the old drive as my F drive. I can access my data files on that disk, but because it has all my programs installed I'd like to find a way to fix the Windows files, then either A) clone the F drive to the C drive, (B) set the computer to boot from the F drive, or something else like that.

I've already run CHKDSK on the F drive.

1) I know that Windows XP has some sort of file-repair program. Can I run it from my C drive to repair the files on my F drive?

2) If not, what would happen if I clone the drive? Would all the file corruption be copied also?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

A couple of issues...

a. File corruption is only correctable by one of 3 methods, in my world: Manually replace file if known to be corrupt; run sfc /scannow to replace all missing/corrupt system files it finds; repair install of XP.

b. Chkdsk can be run on your old drive from your new drive, How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 The new drive sees the drive as just an additional drive and chkdsk can run on any drive connected to a system and appearing in My Computer/Explorer. When running chkdsk in this manner, be sure to put checkmarks in both boxes, otherwise chkdsk is only in read mode (will not repair anything).

c. A clone is an identical copy. A clone of a bad hard drive won't necessarily reflect hard drive errors existing on the bad drive...but all files which are read incorrectly or are unreadable...will also be that way on the clone.

My key question would be: If malware was the cause of your problems on the old drive (not saying, just supposing), then the first priority should be to make that drive clean before thinking about accessing, etc.

And be aware that repairing XP cannot cure some problems.

I've always assumed that to do a repair install, I had to boot into that particular XP. I guess that I now question that, maybe someone can clarify that for you.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

SFC sounds like something I really need to try - but the files are on my F drive, which I can't boot to. Is there a way to run SFC from the C drive to check the F drive?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

SFC /scannow must be run from within the system in need. I've always run it from within XP.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

But a repair install of XP accomplishes the guarantee of all system files, with no corruption....and, in cases, is quicker than running sfc /scannow.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users