Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarts When Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

I have an intermittent problem with my pc restarting when i shut down. I have looked in the event viewer and the common event numbers are: 7000 Service Control Manager and 9 Atapi
I dont have a clue what these mean even when i read about them in the knowledge base.
Can anyone throw any light on this please

I am running xp home with sp 2 zone alarm free / avast free

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

Details of errors noted in Event Viewer?

All sorts of incidents generate the same error message, it's the details which provide clues.

Louis

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:20 AM

I have studied the event viewer and by far the most common problems (red circle with white cross) is Event ID: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager.
it reads: 'The general purpose USB driver (adildr.sys) serivce failed due to the following error: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.'

The other, less common error, is Event ID 9 Source: Atapi
it says: 'The Device, \Devise\ide\idePort1 did not respond with the timeout period.'

Any help would be appreciated

#4 L_sprite

L_sprite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:04 AM

'The general purpose USB driver (adildr.sys) serivce failed due to the following error: --------This is not your USB drive, or USB bad fracture, and recommended that you have to drive, USB generally not driven, this is not your video files? Also do not forget to pay attention to what your motherboard .

But your problem should not this, show something about the problem Not boot or other? What other specific tips?

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

Im sorry. I am brand new to all this technical jargon. Could you explain what you think it is, or what information do you require.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

What USB devices are attached to the system?

Do you have ADSL?

Have you run chkdsk on the system recently? Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html

Try running it from My Computer/Explorer and put check marks in both boxes.

What malware-defense programs do you have installed and current?

Louis

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Ive done Checkdisk as you told me.

I have Spybot / Ad aware / Spyware Blaster / Spyware guard / Windows Defender all installed and updated regularly

The only things attached to USBs is a printer i think, and a wireless mouse/keyboard

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

OK, do you have ADSL or DSL service?

What is the specific problem...as you see it?

Are you saying that the system restarts every time...that you attempt to shut down? Any error messages that display when this happens?

Louis

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

I am using broadband - not cable - so i think thats ADSL?

The problem is on occasions (not every time) the pc will reboot when i shut down.

I dont get error messages at all - only the odd microsoft report error that comes up occasionally, but appart from that , nothing.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

OK, broadband can be cable, ADSL, DSL, satellite...in short, anything other than dialup :thumbsup:.

I will assume that you have an ADSL modem.

OK, when you were provided broadband service, did you also receive a CD? If so, can you tell what is the typed information label on that CD?

I'd also like to you take a look in Device Manager and see if there are any indications that something is wrong. In particular, see if any yellow or red markings are displayed. I'm not very sure that your modem will show up, but I hope so.

Start/Run...devmgmt.msc

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

Louis

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

Let me know if I'm wrong in the way I read your problem.
What I got from your post is that you turn off your computer, and sometimes it will turn itself back on without you or someone else turning it on.

I had the same issue with my previous computer-the only way it would stay shut off was for me to use the power switch on the power supply.
I tried a lot of things-nothing worked to resolve the issue.

Since I'm no expert at this issue, I'll just throw this out for those who know more than me to consider.
Is it possible that something needs to be checked and maybe changed in Power Options?-which is located in Control Panel.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

I guess I interpreted all to mean a reboot on shutdown problem, a clarification would be good.

Louis

#13 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

I have looked at Devise Manager and nothing has question marks on them - all seems clean

It has just gone off again whilst i tried to back up purchased itunes music with a cd. This time, because I disabled the automatically restart option, i received a blue screen. The technical info was:
STOP 0X0000008E (0XC 0000005, 0X806FF94F, 0XA5822808, 0X00000000

I then restarted the machine and received a microsoft windows error box asking me if i wanted to send the error report. i said yes, and a screen opened saying it was something to do with anti viurs programme. either it wasnt up to date, or i had multiple virus programmes running.

My Avast free is up to date (ive just chcked it), and I dont have any anti virus running apart from avast.

The other programmes i have are Ad aware, Spybot, Windows Defender, SpywareGurad, Spyware Blaster, AVG Antispyware
plus my firewall which is zone alarm free

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

A google search of error 0X0000008E brought up a few possibilities:

a hardware related issue.
faulty ram.
overclocking and heat related.

http://articles.networktechs.com/432-p1.php which has a checklist to look at.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Might be ZA that is responsible, http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?boar...;threadid=10111

In addition to hardware items, video/graphics/AV/firewalls all have drivers which can be at fault on driver-related errors. Most of us just forget to expand our perspective when we hear/see the word "driver."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users