Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entry Point Not Found Errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pd_trucking

pd_trucking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hi Everyone:

Having errors coming up and don't know whether its due to Windows XP, hardware, software, etc. so I'm starting with XP.

First one is when the computer is started and comes up after I have logged on. It reads:

Hpqthb08.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library PSAPI.DLL

Next one was when I tried to access internet properties by right clicking on internet shortcut and then clicking Properties. It reads:

Rundll32.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library PSAPI.DLL

Next is when I try to go into Norton Internet Security Center. It Reads

Norton Internet Security: Cfgwiz.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point...........same as the others.

Thought it might be a Norton problem so uninstalled through Add/Remove programs and installed McAfee. Error I got when I tried to access McAfee Security was

Mvtapp[1].exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point.......

Uninstalled McAfee and tried to reinstall through their website and again by disk and got

McAfee CD Setup: CDSetup.exe Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point....

Uninstalled McAfee again and reinstalled Norton got the same Norton error.

The Norton internet security is not working and am having to rely on Windows Firewall.

This error has also come up when accessing other programs.

Computer is also extremely sluggish on startup and shouldn't be - it's a Dell XPS gaming computer.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

At first glance, it appears to me that many of these errors come about when user is attempting to install/use older software on XP. But there are other causes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330159

But this seems to fit you: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/16/p...k-library-file/

Louis

#3 pd_trucking

pd_trucking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

Louis:

Will give it a try and hopefully it works.
Will let you know
Thanks, really appreciate it.
pd

#4 pd_trucking

pd_trucking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

Louis:

Found a couple extra PSAPI.DLL files. One located in \i386 (don't know what this is), one in adobe which I am unable to change, and one in Ergodex (a gaming keyboard we installed about the time these problems started) that I changed. Rebooted computer and problem has been solved.
Thank you so much. Still going to update the device drivers for NVIDIA and I thank you for that info as well.
pd

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

#6 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

pd,
When I had a similar problem myself with 'entry point errors', my fix was to run sfc /scannow at the start>run type in sfc /scannow. Notice the space after sfc and before /. This fixed my problem and all was/is well after that. If you have xp hopefully this will also work for you. What the sfc /scannow does/will do is do a system file check(er)--sfc, and scannow for checking if files are missing or have been corrupted in your os installation and it will replace them with clean copies. If you original install did not save a clean os partition to your hdd, the process will probably then ask you for the xp cd to get copies of files lost and/or corrupted so be ready to have your disk ready. Best to you... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users