Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Adding Laptop To Network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dclary

dclary

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have a desktop and laptop both running Windows XP. The desktop is hooked to a Westell 2200 modem and a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router (Model BEFW11S4). My laptop top got bogged down with viruses and adware and I performed a system recovery which took it back to its original manufacturing settings and now I can't get the laptop to work. It will connect for a few seconds saying the signal is excellent and then it disconnects only to reconnect a few seconds later and then disconnects...etc. In device manager, under network adapters, it has the following.....

1394 Net Adapter
LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

When I went to network wizard to add the laptop, I get a message that says, "The network connections listed below are disconnected. Plug in your network cables or otherwise connect your network hardware, and then click next" The ones listed are...

Wireless Connections 2 LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter

Hopefully someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

Hook you laptop to the "Hardwire" or in simple terms, Plug in a network cable to the port on your laptop. After you do this, you should have internet. Make sure that you go to the Windows Update page and get all your updates (till your at least @ service pack 2). Then go to the laptops manufacturers website and get all the driver updates there. If you have the model number available i can send you a link to the site to go to.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me. I'm a little confused, do mean to unplug from the router and put that directly to the laptop?

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yes, plug the Cat5E cable directly into the Network port on your laptop. This bypasses the use of wireless. From this point, you should be able to access websites and retrieve any updates.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

Okay, I will try that and post back. Thank you again for your help.

#6 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Okay, I have connected directly to the laptop and downloaded all of the updates, however, it would not update the flash player. I just keeping getting the following message, "Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789) was not installed". I tried the solutions given on the Windows Update site but none of them worked.

I also updated the laptops drivers from the Manufacturers site. What is my next step? Should I connect the cable back to the desktop and run the windows wireless set up wizard on the laptop? Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Take care,
Diana

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

that is a builtin wireless?

what is the make and model of your laptop?

One thing I like to do with multiple connection devices is disable the ones I am not using in device manager, that firewire net adapter would be the first to go, after making sure that I had the latest driver for the wireless the onboard ethernet would be next

Even a telephone fax modem would get disabled

Windoze gets confused easily, best to make life simple for it

Edited by DaChew, 01 January 2008 - 09:28 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

Hi Chewy. The laptop is a Sony Vaio (Model PCG-K27) and yes, it is a built in wireless. I did try to run the network wizard set up again but it still says that the following is disconnected.

Wireless Connections 2 LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter

The laptop is still doing the same thing.....It will connect to my network saying the signal is excellent and then disconnects seconds later; it just keeps doing this, connecting and disconnecting. It is beginning to drive me crazy.....lol.

Thank you again for your help, it is so appreciated. I am willing to try anything at this point.

Take care,
Diana

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

Version :
Last Modified :
06/08/2004

this should be the driver version for the wireless, verify in device manager

the wireless could be burned up? the malware may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, I did notice they are easily replaced when I serviced a laptop, probably got a short lifetime

I missed this update!

Version :
Last Modified :
06/21/2004

Edited by DaChew, 02 January 2008 - 04:42 AM.

Chewy

#10 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

I made sure I had the latest driver and it is still doing the same thing. Is it possible that I have it configured wrong? Is putting a new network card something I could do or should I take it to a repair place? Thanks again for your help.

Diana

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Why don't you try uninstalling it in device manager(you have already disabled the other things haven't you!) and then reboot.

Feedback and following directions exactly are a necessity here, if you don't know how to do something say so?

If it still won't work, disable it and try a usb adapter next, make sure cordless telephones are off(no interference)
Chewy

#12 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Yes, I did disable the other two as you instructed earlier. I have also tried uninstalling and rebooting and now it won't connect at all, not even for a few seconds as it was before. I am not sure what a usb adadpter is??

Diana

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833166010

try to borrow one
Chewy

#14 dclary

dclary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Chewy, I will give this a try. I noticed on the site that you can also get the adapter with a router in a bundled package............

"You can also purchase network adapters together with routers. These packages are especially useful for novices who want to network their home computers. It's all packaged together, so there is no guesswork involved if you're not technologically-inclined"

I will make a run to Staples tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find. Thank you again, have a good week.

Take care,
Diana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users