Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup And Defragmenter Wont Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madjay

madjay

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I was recently infected with some malware and had posted for help at
[post="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122564/infected-with-trojan-vundo-and-others/"]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122564/infected-with-trojan-vundo-and-others/[/post]
but I found that even after removing the malware completely my system startup time didnot improve.

Also I found that disk defragmenter wont work.I get the defragmentation window but when I give "analyze" or "defragment" I get the message "disk message could not start"
So I tried Installing system mechanic and have defragmented with it but still the startup is slow

Also I found that the problem of loading the explorer occurs if I pass through the start up page fast(I mean the welcome screen).In that case the desktop wont start and no processes are started after it
Then to load explorer I have to end the process "explorer" from the task manager and start the new process "explorer"

In either case it takes a long time to load all programs such that I can start any work!!!Many programs are loaded only after the network loads!!!
Only then I am able to open my computer or anything else for that matter

Also following advice by RichieUK I had tried unchecking all startup items from msconfig and tried restarting the system even that didnot improve the startup speeds .

After booting completely the system works just fine.

I dual boot with Vista but vista starts up fast enough

I use Windows XP Professional sp2
I work on Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop
2.2Ghz core 2 duo
2 Gb ram
160 gb 7200 rpm hard disk
and my xp installation directory is 9.6 GB

I will greatly appreciate any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

How much free space do you have on the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 madjay

madjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

In the whole system about 60% is free
In the windows installation directory 7 Gb is free.
An update to my last post I have increased the size of my Windows directory to 16 Gb

Edited by madjay, 31 December 2007 - 05:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users